Sydney Comedy Festival launches into its 21st year with strong Greek lineup

·

The Sydney Comedy Festival officially launched its 2026 program on Thursday night at Darling Quarter Theatre, marking the 21st year of the cultural institution co-founded by Greek Australian Jorge Menidis and comedian Gary Eck.

Presented as a joint initiative with Business Sydney, the Festival’s program launch brought together political leaders, media, business figures and industry stakeholders to celebrate what has become one of the city’s most significant annual cultural events.

Photos: The Greek Herald.

The evening opened with a Welcome to Country by Binowee Bayles before Master of Ceremonies Osher Günsberg brought his trademark humour to the stage, officially launching the festival program.

“To celebrate turning 21, the Sydney Comedy Festival is going all out,” Günsberg told guests. “It’s expanding to a full five weeks.”

Executive Director of Business Sydney, Paul Nicolaou, welcomed guests and emphasised the Festival’s role in shaping Sydney’s identity as a global city.

“Tonight isn’t just about unveiling the program,” Nicolaou said. “It’s about celebrating the role that arts, entertainment and live performance play in shaping Sydney as a city that welcomes visitors, supports local talent and creates experiences that bring people together.”

A pre-recorded message from Steve Kamper congratulated organisers on the Festival’s 21-year journey.

In his absence, Parliamentary Secretary for Trade and Small Business Emily Suvaal addressed attendees, describing the event as an “enormous festival” that continues to grow in scale and ambition.

Destination NSW Acting General Manager Sarah Lovell reinforced the Festival’s economic impact, noting that last year’s program attracted more than 160,000 attendees and energised venues across Sydney throughout April and May.

Paul Nicolou.
Osher Günsberg.
Osher Günsberg.
Emily Suvaal.
Sam Nardo.
James Declase.
Official speakers for the 2026 Comedy Festival of Sydney Launch.

Sam Nardo, Chief Operating Officer of Century Venues, also addressed guests, highlighting the importance of live entertainment venues in delivering large-scale cultural events. Century, which operates the Enmore Theatre and Factory Theatre, has played a significant role in hosting and supporting Sydney Comedy Festival programming over many years.

Sydney Comedy Festival General Manager James DeLase then outlined the scale and ambition of the 2026 program, detailing its five-week expansion and the breadth of local and international acts set to perform across Sydney.

Following the formal launch proceedings, guests were treated to live comedy performances from Nikki Britton, Cassie Workman, Cam James, Geraldine Hickey, Dane Simpson, Rebecca De Unamuno and Ivan Aristeguieta – offering a lively preview of the humour and diversity audiences can expect throughout the festival.

Ivan Aristeguieta entertained with his observational humor.
Comedian Nikki Britton.
Comedian Cam James.
Comedian Dane Simpson.

Performances are set to take place in major venues, including the Sydney Opera House, Enmore Theatre, Darling Quarter Theatre, The Joan in Penrith, The Concourse in Chatswood and The Pavilion in Sutherland.

International highlights include exclusive Australian performances from award-winning Scottish comedian Richard Gadd and Hollywood star Tiffany Haddish, alongside a broad national lineup.

Among the strong lineup are several recognised Greek comedians, including Angelo Tsarouchas, Anesti Danelis, Anthony Locascio, Alex Lykos, Alexei Toliopoulos, iconic character Effie, Eloise Eftos, and emerging comic Mariah Nickolas, among many others.

The program also includes the Festival’s popular Sydney Comedy Festival Galas, the open-air Comedy Gala on the Green, Great Laugh in the Park for families, as well as crowd-favourite experiences such as the Comedy Crawl and Comedy Cruise.

The 2026 Sydney Comedy Festival will run from 20 April to 17 May 2026, delivering five weeks of performances across Sydney.

For full program details and ticket information here.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Flour, family and filoxenia as Kastoria Club brings generations together at pita workshop 

The hall at the Australian Association of Kastorians wasn’t built for this kind of crowd. By mid-afternoon it was packed, standing room only.

St Basil’s aged care home in Victoria fined over COVID-19 safety breach

St Basil’s Home for the Aged has been convicted and fined $150,000 over workplace safety failures during a COVID-19 outbreak in 2020.

GCM students mark Athens Polytechnic Uprising anniversary with special edition book

The Schools of the Greek Community of Melbourne's Language & Culture Schools will publish "Polytechnic 50 years later."