Nick Kyrgios calls for the Australian Open to be scrapped next year

·

Australian tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, has called for the Australian Open to be cancelled next year out of respect to Melburnians who endured multiple COVID-19 lockdowns over the last two years of the pandemic.

“I don’t think the Aus Open should go ahead, just for the people in Melbourne – you’ve got to send a message,” Kyrgios said on his No Boundaries podcast.

“How long did [Melbourne] do in lockdown? 275 days or something?”

Victorian Premier, Daniel Andrews, is currently holding firm on a refusal to grant exemptions to unvaccinated players to take part in next year’s Australian Open. This has cast doubt over the availability of the likes of Novak Djokovic, who refuses to reveal his vaccination status.

Most of last year’s Australian Open games were held without crowds.

But Kyrgios, who has held strong opinions on Djokovic’s antics throughout the pandemic, showed some sympathy towards the world No.1 and described mandatory vaccination for tennis players as “morally wrong.”

“[Melbourne-born Brooklyn Nets NBA star] Kyrie [Irving], Novak … These guys have given so much, sacrificed so much. They are global athletes who millions of people look up to,” Kyrgios said.

“I just think it is so morally wrong to force someone to be vaccinated.

Djokovic at the Australian Open this year.

“I’m double vaccinated, but I just don’t think it’s right to force anyone [to be vaccinated] and say ‘you can’t come and play here because you’re not vaccinated’.”

Kyrgios said that tennis players should get tested for COVID-19 every day instead.

“In the States I know they’ve got rapid tests, and it’s coming to Australia. It’s 85% success rate, you wait 15 minutes and then you’re allowed to play,” he said.

The Australian Open is set to take place in Melbourne next January.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Fresco of Helen of Troy uncovered at Pompeii

Nearly 2,000 years since it was buried by volcanic rubble, the lost city of Pompeii is yielding even more impressive discoveries. According to msn.com, archeologists...

New casual Greek restaurant brings meze and cocktails to Adelaide’s CBD

Andrew Papadakis, the visionary who founded and successfully sold Meze Mazi, returns to the vibrant Adelaide restaurant scene with his newest venture, Dino’s. According to...

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths in two...

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece, has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report. The tomb is believed...

Yorgos Lanthimos’ new movie ‘Kinds of Kindness’ included in Cannes lineup

New films from Yorgos Lanthimos, Andrea Arnold and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as a portrait of 1980s Donald Trump, will compete for the...

You May Also Like

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths in two...

Weapon used in Thessaloniki knife attack that killed 19-year-old student found

Greek Police have recovered a weapon they believe was used to kill a 19-year-old student early Tuesday morning in a district of Thessaloniki, northern...

Erdogan accuses Greece of ‘hostile action’ over alleged missile lock on Turkish fighter jets

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused Greece of "hostile action", alleging Greek defence used a Russian-made missile system to harass its F-16 fighter...