Georgallis one of five staffers culled as part of new regime at Canterbury Bulldogs

·

Current interim Canterbury coach, Steve Georgallis, is one of five staffers who have been told there isn’t a job for them at the ‘family club’ under Trent Barrett next season.

In a shock development, the Bulldogs are also expected to cut a further four staffers including head of high performance, Tony Ayoub, two strength and conditioning coaches, Harry Harris and Tony Grimaldi, and skills coach Steve James.

The move will rock Canterbury, although insiders insist change is needed with the club running last on the NRL competition table.

Gold Coast head of high performance, Dan Ferris, is expected to join Barrett at Belmore. Barrett and Ferris worked together at Manly.

Current interim Canterbury coach, Steve Georgallis (left), has been cut from the Bulldogs coaching team.

Georgallis, who took over from sacked Dean Pay on July 14, has applied for the vacant North Queensland coaching job. He previously filled in as a head coach at the Panthers following the resignation of Matthew Elliott in 2011.

RELATED: Steve Georgallis named interim coach of Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

The cull started last weekend when veteran trainer Garry Carden, deemed by players as the “the heart and soul” of the club, was let go after 37 years of service.

A month earlier, when Pay was dumped, assistant coach Steve Antonelli quit.

Those close to the club believe Barrett and his new coaching staff will bring a more flamboyant playing style next season.

New coach Trent Barrett is set to be bringing in his own coaching team.

The club is also mindful of minimising costs given fears the COVID-19 situation could continue to affect the bottom line next year.

The departures were partly offset by the retention of Adam Elliott, who knocked back a lucrative deal from the Warriors to stay put on a new three-year deal.

“Adam has become a fantastic leader at Belmore and, when he runs onto the field for the Bulldogs, you can feel the passion he has for the club,” Bulldogs chief Andrew Hill said.

“We look forward to seeing him continue to represent the Bulldogs with distinction over the next three years.”

READ MORE: TGH Exclusive: Steve Georgallis – The man planning to turn the Bulldogs back into a competitive side

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

AEK Athens and PAOK impress in tough Europa League clashes

Thessaloniki based team PAOK managed to defeat 3rd placed Dutch side PSV 4-1, meanwhile AEK Athens came home with a similar 4-1 win against Zorya Luhansk.

99-year-old Angelos Bouris shares story as last living survivor of Kalavryta Holocaust

99-year-old Angelos Bouris shares his story as the last living survivor from the Kalavryta Holocaust of December 13, 1943.

Bake it at home: Niki Louca’s classic Bougatsa (Custad Parcels)

Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe for Bougatsa (Custard Parcels) with The Greek Herald.