Bomb explodes in Greek Cypriot football referee’s car

·

A bomb went off inside a car belonging to a Greek Cypriot referee on Jan. 17, just two days after the Greek Cyprus Football Association was notified of possible match-fixing.

A makeshift explosive device was placed under the hood of a car belonging to Andreas Constantinou, a 33-year-old Greek Cypriot football referee, according to Greek daily Kathimerini.

Police said the explosion took place at the parking lot of Constantinou’s place of residence, an apartment building in Larnaca town of Greek Cyprus.

The explosion caused extensive damages to the vehicle while reports said no individuals had been injured.

Two days ago, UEFA officials had notified the Greek Cyprus Football Association of possible match-fixing in five suspected matches, including one which was refereed by Constantinou earlier this month.

Greek Cypriot police said they were investigating the incident.

Similar car bombings have occurred in the past in connection with the goings-on in the world of football in Greek Cyprus.

Sourced by: Hurriyet Daily News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

GOCNSW meets with Greece’s Deputy Minister of Culture Iason Fotilas

The Greek Orthodox Community of NSW held a fruitful meeting on Friday, October 4 with Greece's Deputy Minister of Culture, Iason Fotilas.

Greece to deploy battalion to Gaza stabilisation force

Greece plans to contribute a special battalion of 100–150 personnel to the International Stabilisation Force in Gaza.

Andreas Υannopoulos launches ‘The Greeks are Back’ to attract foreign investment to Greece

Andreas Giannopoulos has launched 'The Greeks are Back'- - an initiative aimed at attracting foreign investment to Greece.