Aussie Tennis Youngster Thanasi Kokkinakis ready for the 2020 season

·

Thanasi Kokkinakis is feeling confident as he prepares for the 2020 season.

“I feel good. This is the healthiest I’ve been in a while,” the 23-year-old told tennis.com.au during a break from his pre-season training.

“It’s the first time I’ve really had a pre-season with no restrictions. Hopefully it stays this way coming into the first few tournaments of the year. I think I’m in a really good spot coming into next year.”

The South Australian’s rising confidence is positive news after a challenging run with injuries. A pectoral injury impacted his 2019 season, the fourth consecutive year he’s been unable to play a full schedule.

Kokkinakis admits he became his “own biggest opponent” as he struggled to maintain momentum during the testing period. Frustrations grew as self-belief faded in his body’s ability to handle matches.

From the nine tournaments he entered in 2019, he was unable to complete four of them due to injury. This included the Australian Open, where he retired in the opening round after winning three qualifying matches, and the US Open, where he withdrew with shoulder soreness ahead of a second-round clash with eventual champion Rafael Nadal after posting his first Grand Slam main draw win since 2015.

Kokkinakis, currently ranked No.199, has not played since making an ATP Challenger final in the United States in September. After cutting his season short to rehabilitate his lingering pectoral concern, he contemplated contesting last week’s AO Play-off.

“I was close (to playing). If it was a best-of-three event or maybe only best-of-five for the last round, I probably would have played,” he said.

“But I thought I’d take the time for the rest of the year to sort my pec out. I didn’t want to rush that process and play best-of-five sets too soon. I tried to do the best thing body wise, not just looking short-term for the Aussie Open, because I know it’s a long year ahead.”

That long-term focus has Kokkinakis, who achieved a career-high ranking of No.69 as a teenager in 2015, eyeing a return to the world’s top 100 for the first time since February 2016.

He showed promising signs in 2019 that this target is achievable – winning 20 of the 26 matches he completed and defeating Australian Open 2019 semifinalist Lucas Pouille to make his second career ATP-level quarterfinal in Los Cabos in July.

“My biggest goal is to stay healthy. I think my ranking will take care of itself when I do that,” says Kokkinakis.

“Obviously I want to get back inside the top 100 as soon as possible and I think the quickest way to do that for me is just to stay healthy. I only played a few events last year, and a couple of them I pulled out of, and I’m (ranked) around 200.

“So if I can play more tournaments and do as well as I did, I think I’m going to have a pretty high ranking hopefully.”

Kokkinakis plans to make his competitive return at an ATP Challenger tournament in Canberra in January. His attention then turns to the Australian Open, where he will need to qualify or receive a wildcard to make a fifth main-draw appearance.

Sourced by: Tennis Australia

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Influential Greek Australian females unite to launch ‘Women in Philanthropia’

A gathering of influential Greek Australian women took place at the Ritz-Carlton in Melbourne to launch the ‘Women in Philanthropia’ movement

Pontoxeniteas NSW’s Christmas party brings generations together in celebration

The annual Pontoxeniteas NSW Christmas Party brought together three generations of community members for a festive celebration.

Ange Postecoglou’s Celtic FC gets defeated by Sydney FC

Sydney FC came to win last night, and that they did against Scottish super team Celtic FC led by former Socceroo's manager, Ange Postecoglou.