Nick Kyrgios says decision to let Grand Slam tournament go ahead is ‘selfish’

·

Nick Kyrgios has shown his distaste towards the Grand Slam tournament going ahead under restrictions, yet the Greek-Australian isn’t alone in his worries.

Upon the reveal that the US Open is to go ahead with no spectators, Nick Kyrgios took to Twitter to label the decision as “selfish”.

The Greek-Australian tennis player expressed that it wasn’t fair that Australian players will be forced to undergo a two-week quarantine period.

Kyrgios was backed up, however, by Women’s World No. 1 Ash Barty, who revealed her worries in a guarded email to The Associated Press.

Read More: Tsitsipas crushes Paire to close out day one of the Ultimate Tennis Showdown

Read More: Nick Kyrgios takes swipe at tennis’ biggest names in Instagram Live chat with Andy Murray

“I have concerns, too,” Barty said.

“I understand the tournaments are eager to run but keeping everyone safe has to be the priority.”

Ashleigh Barty of Australia reacts after missing a shot during her match against Jennifer Brady of the United States at the Brisbane International tennis tournament in Brisbane, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2020. (AP Photo/Tertius Pickard)

Governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, said on Twitter the United States Tennis Association will take “extraordinary precautions” to protect players and staff at the grand slam tournament, including robust testing, additional cleaning and extra locker room space.

Despite his reassurances, Men’s World No.1 Novak Djokovic and reigning US Open men’s champion Rafael Nadal also expressed doubts about the tournament.

Spaniard Nadal said earlier this month he would not travel to the US Open in present circumstances, while Djokovic said playing the event this year would be impossible given “extreme” protocols that would be in place.

Nick Kyrgios has recently expressed his doubts over sport carrying on as a whole, responding to the new Ultimate Tennis Showdown tournament.

“I’m just not on board with new tennis events and sport going on in general with everything that’s going on at the moment,” Kyrgios said in a public reply to the UTS Showdown Twitter.

Despite his negative attitude towards the event, organisers of the tournament expressed that they would still love for him to “get involved” and to “get in touch with us if you’re down”.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Sydney Olympic and South Melbourne set for derby showdown at Jubilee Stadium

Sydney Olympic and South Melbourne reignite their rivalry at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium for another chapter in the Australian Championship.

Greek yoghurt among essentials slashed in Australian supermarket price war

Greek yoghurt is among hundreds of everyday grocery items to see price cuts as Woolworths and Coles ramp up their supermarket price war.

Greek youth dominate cast of ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’ in Sydney

There are six Greek children performing in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at Sydney's Capital Theatre until April 16.