Greek armed forces on high alert as Turkey announce plans to explore sea south of Kastellorizo

·

Greek armed forces have been placed on alert after the Antalya Navtex station announced plans for a Turkish seismic survey south and east of the Greek island of Kastellorizo from July 21-August 2.

Turkey’s Oruc Reis seismic exploration ship arrived in the area yesterday, blocking the sea area southeast of Kastelorizo island. The Greek foreign ministry said the advisory covered part of the Greek continental shelf.

“We call on Turkey to immediately cease these illegal actions which violate our sovereign rights and undermine peace and security in the area,” it said in a statement.

A protest had been lodged with the Turkish foreign ministry while the United Nations, the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, NATO and the European Union had been informed.

The chief of the Hellenic National Defense General Staff (GEETHA), Konstantinos Floros, has expedited his return from Cyprus.

With Turkey’s behaviour in the Eastern Mediterranean becoming increasingly provocative, Greece has been bracing for a possible scaling up of tensions, amid fears that Turkish officials will make good on threats to launch hydrocarbon explorations off the islands of Crete or Kastellorizo.

Also Tuesday, a pair of Turkish F-16 fighter jets entered Greek airspace at 2.23 p.m. and flew over the islets of Strongyli and Megisti near Kastellorizo at an altitude of 12,500 feet.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

HACCI National Federation holds online event on Greek-Australian trade relations

HACCI National Federation marked a milestone with its inaugural online event ‘Bridging Markets: Greece-Australia Trade Insights’ on March 20.

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

You May Also Like

Bill Papas appears at Xanthi FC game in Greece despite arrest warrant

Forum founder, Bill Papas, has appeared at a Xanthi FC game on the weekend despite the looming threat of an arrest warrant.

National Museum of Australia applauds major budget funding boost

The National Museum of Australia has applauded a federal government announcement of a $78.3 million funding boost over the next four years.

Egypt backs federal peace deal for ethnically split Cyprus

Egypt’s foreign minister said that any talks for a two-state peace deal in Cyprus should adhere to a UN-backed road map reunifying the island as a federation.