Gold Coast restaurant ‘Loki’ shuts down after struggling to replace much-loved ‘Hellenika’ restaurant

·

During late-November last year the landmark ‘Hellenika’ restaurant on the Gold Coast’s Nobby Beach announced it was closing its doors.

Hellenika was credited as “changing the Gold Coast dining scene” and “reviving Nobby Beach”, with restaurant owner Simon Gloftis serving trendy but traditional Greek dishes for over 10-years.

Gloftis decided to sell the Nobby Beach business and focus on his other two restaurants in Brisbane.

Though, regulars had not lost hope as the team behind popular pizza restaurant ‘Justin Lane’ reinvented ‘Hellenika’ as ‘Loki’.

The opening of Loki came with high expectations, with “pop culture version of the Mediterranean” being the brief and promising “drinking, dining and dancing”.

But owner Brodie Millwood said the new direction came with a grilling from the community.

“The first week was pretty insane, to be honest,” he told the Gold Coast Bulletin.

“We just really tried to do our best to honour as many of the Hellenika bookings as we could.

“(But) in that first week, we were having people come to the door and tell me how terrible it was, what I was doing. They were blaming me, people were abusing me on the phone.”

“The following of Hellenika is very loyal, and they’re coming in still expecting it to be Hellenika.

“There was pros and cons to it. It was good for us to get people through the door, and we wanted a certain amount of crossover with the old Hellenika clientele.”

During the first five weeks, Millwood said he was “feeling positive” about Loki’s future.

Though, this week, Loki unexpectedly announced its shock closure. The owners plan to cease trade as of this Sunday, just two months after opening.

“Despite making this decision to close while we get ready (to) relaunch, we are very happy that we were able to employ a large number of staff four weeks before Christmas, keeping them employed through the Christmas and New Years period,” Mr Millwood said to the Gold Coast Bulletin.

“Although we know that in the short term this is a difficult situation, the relaunch of this venue with a new concept will see us grow in stature as a local employer, allowing us to employ even more workers into the future than we employ now.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

You May Also Like

Giorgos Giakoumakis tops Messi for Major League Soccer’s Newcomer Award

Atlanta United forward, Giorgos Giakoumakis won the Major League Soccer's Newcomer of the Year for 2023 over runner-up, Lionel Messi.

Australia’s Matildas storm into Women’s World Cup semi-finals

Australia's Matildas defeated France and are headed to the semi-finals of the FIFA Women's World Cup for the first time.

Sydney music performance set to celebrate 100 years since birth of composer Iannis Xenakis

Time as Revelator will feature a celebration of the 100-year anniversary of the birth of legendary Greek Fench composer Iannis Xenakis.