Former Greek WWII resistance hero Manolis Glezos dies aged 97

·

Manolis Glezos, a Greek World War II resistance hero, who remained active in politics into his nineties, has died in Athens. He was 97.

Government spokesman Stelios Petsas expressed the government’s condolences minutes after Glezos’ death was announced Monday. Authorities at a public hospital where Glezos had been treated said he died of heart failure.

He is to be given a state funeral, though details were not immediately known.

At age 18, Glezos and a friend and fellow university student, Lakis Santas, climbed up the Acropolis in Athens at night and cut down the Nazi flag. It had been raised one month earlier when the country fell under German occupation in the spring of 1941.

“It was a large flag and when it fell it covered us. We got it off us, hugged and danced a little, right on the spot,” Glezos told a program for state television decades later.

He worked as a journalist for the official Greek Communist Party newspaper and the left-wing daily Avgi, and remained active in politics throughout his life, returning to the birthplace of his mother, the island of Paros, at age 88, to serve on the municipal council.

He re-entered national politics in 2012 as a member of Parliament with the left-wing Syriza party led by former prime minister Alexis Tsipras, before being elected to the European Parliament in 2014. He retired the following year, but continued to lend his public support to protest initiatives, mostly against harsh economic austerity linked to the financial crisis and international bailout.

Conservative Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, led tributes to Glezos, describing him as a “lion-hearted man with a kind look.”

‘Greeks are poorer today following the death of Manolis Glezos, but he leaves the country richer for the life that he led and the example he gave: a genuine patriot and true fighter. ” ___ Corrects previous version to note that island of Paros was birthplace of Glezos’ mother.

Sourced by: Associated Press

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Sydney-born virologist becomes Greece’s coronavirus ‘hero’

Sydney-born infectious diseases expert, Sotiris Tsiodras, has become a national hero in Greece as he helps to control the spread of COVID-19.

Oakleigh Grammar celebrates 100% tertiary offer success for the Class of 2025

Following Oakleigh Grammar’s best VCE results in 21 years, the school has announced another outstanding milestone.

NEPOMAK opens applications for 2026 Cyprus heritage programmes

Applications are now open for two international programmes offering young Cypriot Australians the opportunity to travel to Cyprus.