‘Illegal and unacceptable’: Cyprus President calls National Council over Turkey’s plan to reopen Varosha

·

Cyprus President Nicos Anastasiades will preside over a session of the National Council to discuss  Turkey’s plans to reopen an abandoned suburb in Cyprus. 

President Anastasiades describes Turkey’s plans as “illegal and unacceptable”. 

“I want to send the strongest message to Mr Erdogan and his local proxies that the unacceptable actions and demands of Turkey will not be accepted,” Anastasiades said.

The United Kingdom says it will be discussing the issue as a matter of urgency with other Council members, saying it was “deeply concerned”.

European Union (EU) foreign policy chief Josep Borrell also threw his support in, writing on Twitter that the move “risks raising tensions on the island & compromising return to talks on a comprehensive settlement of the Cyprus issue.” 

It follows President Anastasiades’ phone call with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and comes just days after the Greek Foreign Ministry in Athens issued a statement condemning Turkey’s plans to grant Varosha civilian status. 

“Turkey must immediately stop its provocative and lawless behaviour and comply with international law,” a statement from the Ministry reads. 

It added that the Greek and Cypriot governments will work for a “just and sustainable” peace settlement along the principle of a bizonal, bicommunal federation.

The Ministry cited Turkey’s contraventions of United Nations (UN) Security Council resolutions, conclusions of the European Council, and calls from the international community, in their defence against the move.  

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar kicked off the chaos a few days ago with a two-day trip to Varosha to announce their decision to resettle civilians in 3.5 percent of the area. 

President Erdogan reiterated his call for a “two-state solution” in Cyprus, while slamming the EU for rejecting the idea. 

“We will not take their advice… We will do what we need to do,” President Erdogan said on Tuesday.

President Erdogan said that the only route to lasting peace on Cyprus is through the international community’s acceptance of two seperate states

“The international community will sooner or later accept this reality,” he said during celebrations to mark the 47th anniversary of the 1974 war. 

Varosha, a southern suburb of Famagusta, remained deserted since Turkey’s invasion of Cyprus in 1974 made the site a military zone and split the island. 

Nobody but the Turkish military had been able to enter since the war until Turkish-Cypriot authorities opened a small area of the once-booming resort town for day visits in November last year. 

Source: Ekathimerini

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Aristides Avlonitis to be extradited to WA after drug bust arrest

Aristides Avlonitis will be extradited to Western Australia from Darwin in the Northern Territory after he was arrested by the AFP.

Adrian Christemou’s brewpub brings taste of Greece to rural Queensland

Two chefs opened a Greek-inspired brewpub and restaurant restoring local tourism in the Queensland suburb of Forest Glen.

UK PM rebuffs Greek PM’s demand for talks on Parthenon marbles

The British Prime Minister has told his Greek counterpart that the decision to repatriate the Parthenon marbles is up to the British Museum.