Family of first Greek man to die from COVID in New Zealand speak out

·

Manoli Tzanoudakis and his bride Betty were at the centre of an infamous wedding in Bluff, New Zealand, where as many as 98 people contracted COVID-19.

One of the 98 people was Manoli’s 87-year-old father, Chrisanthos Tzanoudakis, who later became the first Greek man to die in NZ from the virus.

READ MORE: Greek man becomes the fourth victim of coronavirus in New Zealand.

”It was an amazing day with all our family around us. Then it all changed,” Betty told NZ Newshub national correspondent Patrick Gower in his documentary, Patrick Gower: On Lockdown.

Betty and Manoli’s wedding was the centre of the Bluff cluster. Photo: Mediaworks.

Betty had proposed to husband Manoli on a Stewart Island hunting trip. They spent months planning their wedding reception which was held at Oyster Cove Restaurant in Bluff on March 21.

In the days following the wedding, a guest tested positive for COVID-19. Then the bride and groom tested positive.

“One of the guests rang me to ask how we were,” Betty said. “He said that he was unwell and had been tested for COVID-19 and was positive. Then it was like, ‘wow’.”

Manoli’s father, originally from Greece, had lived in Wellington for more than 50 years. He worked on the wharves and owned a fish and chip shop. He planned to move back to Greece after the wedding.

But on the Thursday after the wedding his father was very sick, Manoli said.

“He got rushed to hospital. He was going up and down, and then he started deteriorating.”

His father was put on an oxygen mask but was pulling it off because he was in so much pain.

Speaking in Greek, Manoli told him to “be strong, and we will get through it.”

It was the last thing he said to his father, who died on April 10.

One of their guests, a flight attendant, was identified as bringing the virus into the country.

But Manoli said he wouldn’t blame his father’s death on anyone. He blames the virus.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Pharos Alliance NSW launches statewide survey to strengthen Greek language education

The Pharos Alliance NSW has launched a Parent and Carer Survey as part of the first phase of its NSW Greek Language Strategy.

Hatzidakis says Turkey’s objections will not block East Med

The East Med pipeline will proceed regardless of Turkey's objections, Greece's Energy and Environment Minister Kostis Hatzidakis said Saturday in statements to SKAI TV.

US hold live-fire drill at Mount Olympus following major base deal

In Litochoro, at the foot of Mount Olympus, army aviation forces from Greece and the United States are taking part in a live-fire exercise with attack helicopters, marking deepening defence ties between the two countries.