‘Won’t stop until we win’: NSW teachers vow to fight on after second strike in six months

·

NSW teachers staged a mass walk-out on Wednesday in their second strike within six months, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Thousands of teachers marched from Hyde Park in Sydney to the steps of NSW Parliament, as they chanted “more than thanks” and vowed to continue their fight with the state government over pay and conditions.

They are demanding a pay rise above the government’s legislated 2.5 per cent public sector wage cap.

NSW Premier, Dominic Perrottet, has previously flagged the 2.5 per cent wage cap on the public sector would be dumped in the state budget, but has yet to nominate an alternative wage plan.

At the protest, the President of the NSW Teachers Federation, Angelo Gavrielatos, said the union will continue to cause classroom chaos “until we win.”

“My message to the Premier is negotiate. We are ready now to negotiate,” Mr Gavrielatos said to thousands of cheering teachers.

“My message to the Premier is… we won’t accept anything less than what our profession and our children deserve.”

In response, NSW Education Minister Sarah Mitchell said the strike was incredibly disappointing and the teachers union seemed “hellbent on this disruption for kids.”

Thousands of children stayed home from school after more than 250 public schools were listed by the NSW Education Department as non-operational on Wednesday. 

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Europe’s oldest bridge still used today in Greece

The Arkadiko Bridge, is a bridge dating back to Mycenean times, is still in use in the southern Peloponnese region.

Daniel Theophanou and his mum create the ultimate Australia Day dress

Daniel Theophanou and his mum upcycled an Australian flag dress and included a collar and hat in the colours of the Aboriginal flag.

Heather Makris urges more people to become organ donors in Australia

South Australian local, Heather Makris, has called on more people to become organ donors this National DonateLife Week.