Whole of Italy under lockdown as country records over 9,000 confirmed infections

·

The whole of Italy is being put on lockdown as the country attempts to stop the rapid spread of coronavirus. The COVID-19 virus has already led to 463 deaths in Italy, an increase of almost 100 in a 24-hour period, and more than 9,000 confirmed infections in just over two weeks.

All sports events, including Italian football’s Serie A competition, have now been suspended until further notice. Public gatherings are also banned, with movement across the nation being severely restricted in an attempt to contain the COVID-19 virus.

Until 3 April, around 60 million people will effectively be under quarantine by the strict measures which had already been introduced in northern and some central areas over the weekend.

Italy’s prime minister Giuseppe Conte is urging people to stay at home. Photo: Sky News

Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has urged people to please stay in their homes, saying: “The future depends on us and everyone must do their part.”

The Prime Minister added that public transport will remain operational, yet people should only move around for work and emergencies. The closure of schools and universities across the country is being extended to 3 April.

Greece’s ministry of foreign affairs has sent a message of support and solidarity to Italy on Twitter, with the message reading: “A message of support & solidarity to our Italian friends who bravely face the emergency #coronavirus. Our thoughts go to the families of the victims, to all those affected & to the medical staff who face this emergency with altruism.”

More than 300 of Italy’s fatalities are in the Lombardy region – which includes the country’s financial capital Milan.

The prior measures in Lombardy had affected 10 million residents, and another six million in the provinces of Modena, Parma, Piacenza, Reggio Emilia, Rimini, Pesaro and Urbino, Alessandria, Asti, Novara, Verbano-Cusio-Ossola, Vercelli, Padua, Treviso and the tourist hotspot of Venice.

The coronavirus has now infected approximately 112,000 people, with 3,884 having died. Greece’s COVID-19 infections have now increased to a total of 84, with no deaths being recorded yet.

Numerous events in Greece have been cancelled. Athens’ half-marathon scheduled for March 22 will be postponed, it was made public on Monday afternoon.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Greek Foreign Minister: Solution with Turkey ‘difficult but not impossible’

Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, has said on Sunday that while a solution with Turkey is difficult, it is not impossible.

President Sakellaropoulou pledges Greece’s commitment to dialogue with Turkey

President of Greece, Katerina Sakellaropoulou has pledged the country's commitment to dialogue with Turkey.

Lecture on Benaki Museum’s Hellenistic gold jewellery collection to be held in Sydney

Sydney's Consulate General of Greece and Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens host, “Aspects of Beauty: Hellenistic Gold Jewellery in the Benaki Museum Collections”.