Waverley Mayor Paula Masselos warns of ‘draconian’ measures after Sydney beach trashed

·

Waverly Council’s Mayor, Paula Masselos, has warned beachgoers that “draconian measures” are being considered for the remainder of the holiday season after Bronte Beach in Sydney was trashed with rubbish on Christmas Day.

A crowd ranging between 15,000 and 20,000 people left the public beach space with abandoned picnic rugs, plastic, alcohol bottles, discarded clothing and nitrous oxide canisters.

Cleaners, paid for by Waverley Council, were at Bronte from 11pm on Christmas Day until 5am on Boxing Day cleaning up the mess, with local residents joining the clean up too.

People at Bronte Beach on Christmas Day. Source: The Sydney Morning Herald / Instagram.

Mayor Masselos told The Sydney Morning Herald she would be talking to police, rangers, other officers and councils, “to look at what we might be able to do to deal with this kind of situation” in the lead up to New Years Day and Australia Day.

Mayor Masselos said with New Years events and Australia Day coming up, she did not want to resort to ticketed events and banning parties, but is considering it.

“[A ticketed event] is really hard to manage. It doesn’t stop [the problem of] what to do with all the rubbish left,” she told The Sydney Morning Herald.

The Greek Australian Mayor said the beach was for everybody and that she wanted people to enjoy themselves in their first proper summer in years without any dreadful consequences.

“We want to ensure people come enjoy themselves but we aren’t left to clean up a dreadful mess. It’s extremely antisocial, extremely rude and very aggressive,” the Mayor said.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald.

READ MORE: Waverley Mayor Paula Masselos calls to ditch shark nets from NSW beaches.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

TGH Exclusive: Food truck owner treats South Australia town’s frontline workers to Greek lunch

On April 14, a food truck was parked outside Riverland General Hospital in Berri, South Australia, treating nurses and doctors to free Greek delicacies.

Golden Dawn member Christos Pappas still at large

Pappas had checked in with his local police station in the northern Athens suburb of Papagou on October 1, as he was obliged to do, but has not been seen since then.

Two Greek Australians recognised with Australian Bravery Decorations for their courageous acts

Manny Koulakis and Nicholas Karagiannis have been recognised with Australian Bravery Decorations for their courageous acts.