Vladimir Putin declines invitation to attend bicentennial independence parade in Greece

·

Vladimir Putin is the first leader to decline Greece’s invitation to the bicentennial independence celebration, honouring 200 years of Greece’s independence.

The Russian President is one of three leadership representatives for the remembrance of the Battle of Navarino, a battle which saw British, French and Russian soldiers unite to defeat Ottoman warships.

Greek Defense Minister Nikos Panagiototopoulos had announced earlier in the week that Putin, French President Emmanuel Macron and Prince Charles had received invitations to attend the parade as representatives of the three countries that contributed to the liberation of Greece.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peshkov said on Friday that Putin has no plans to visit Athens to attend the parade.

In October of 2020, Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis is said to have personally invited the Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to the festivities, during his visit in Athens.

It is understood that the parade will go ahead with strict coronavirus restrictions in place in order to prevent further spread of the virus.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

Father Antonios convicted on multiple abuse charges in Ark of the World case

Father Antonios has been sentenced to 9.5 years’ imprisonment, commuted to a fine exceeding €60,000, after Greece’s court found him guilty.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released as Epstein-linked probe continues

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office

You May Also Like

Turkey jails hundreds for life over 2016 failed coup attempt

In the biggest case related to the plot to overthrow President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, 337 ex-pilots and other suspects have sentenced to life.

Qantas charged for standing down health and safety worker, Theo Seremetidis

Qantas is facing prosecution for standing down a worker who raised concerns about contracting COVID-19 from aircraft arriving from China.

Greeks continue to flee as fire ravages Evia island, firefighter plane crashes

Thousands of people have fled their homes on the Greek island of Evia as wildfires burned uncontrolled for a sixth day on Sunday.