Victorians celebrate seven days straight of zero COVID-19 cases

·

Victorians celebrate a full week of no new cases of coronavirus and no further deaths, likely allowing for further restrictions to be eased from Sunday night.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced that from Monday, New Zealanders will be able to fly into Melbourne directly. Mr Andrews said he had written to Prime Minister Scott Morrison to say the state would join the trans-Tasman bubble, after seven days in a row of zero new COVID-19 cases.

READ MORE: NSW to open border with Victoria on November 23

“Whilst we inadvertently found ourselves in the bubble … New Zealanders will now be able to travel directly into Melbourne,” he said.

“Now’s the time, because cases are so low and we’re opening up, we can have flights directly into our city and our state. There will be no quarantine (for people from New Zealand).”

Flights from New Zealand could land at Melbourne Airport as soon as Monday.(AAP: Mal Fairclough)

There were 18,671 test results processed on Thursday, which Mr Andrews said was a “very strong number”.

“We need to keep that going so we know what’s out there and what isn’t,” he said at a press conference underground in the Metro Tunnel construction site on Friday morning.

“This Sunday we will make really significant announcements about taking further steps around 25km limit, the ‘ring of steel’ with regional Victoria and some expansions for different settings – bars, restaurants and cafes,” Mr Andrews said.

“We’ll also map out for Victorians what the rest of November looks like – some further steps we’d like to take a couple of weeks after this Sunday.

“That is all on track, and these numbers are very impressive. With commitment and vigilance, we need to keep going, we can’t pretend seven days of zeros are like a vaccine against this virus … If we all do our best, we can see these numbers low, we can open up and importantly stay open.”

There is now just one healthcare worker with COVID-19 in Victoria. Two people remain in hospital with the virus, but neither are in intensive care.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

South Melbourne FC set for historic OFC Pro League final showdown

South Melbourne FC will contest the inaugural OFC Pro League final against Auckland FC after a 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC.

South Melbourne FC hail ‘extraordinary achievement’ after booking OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC have reached the inaugural OFC Pro League final with a dominant 4-0 semi-final win over Vanuatu United FC in Auckland.

You May Also Like

Chris Kriketos’ cafe in Sydney’s The Rocks left in limbo by public agencies

Chris Kriketos' cafe will have to go to public tender to renew its lease with Placemaking NSW after almost 40 years in the district.

‘A celebration of the Greek culture’: Foundation for Hellenic Studies launches inaugural exhibition

With an event held last week the Foundation for Hellenic Studies launched the By George! exhibition and announced the biennial prize winners.

Greek naval cadets disciplined for anti-Turkey chants during March 25th parade

A Greek naval inquiry has concluded with disciplinary action against cadets involved in offensive slogans against Turkey on March 25.