US billionaires artefacts set to be returned to Greece after deal secured

·

Greece has secured a complex deal for the return of 161 ancient Greek artefacts from the collection of a US billionaire after Athens had conceded there was no evidence that it had been illegally excavated and exported. 

Most of the pieces are marble works that date from 5300- 2200 BC and are from the Early Bronze Age Cycladic civilization whose elegantly abstract but enigmatic marble figurines inspired artists from Pablo Picasso to Constantin Bancrusi. 

These pieces are usually highly prized by collectors and museums which has recently begun a wave of illegal excavations in Greece – and countless forgeries. 

Greece’s parliament approved the agreement with the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, a top Athens museum and a Delaware-based cultural institution to which the pieces will be transferred to over the coming years. 

As part of the deal, it was agreed that the works will stagger their return to Greece from 2033-2048, after being displayed in the MET during the same time period.  

Culture Minister, Lina Mendoni described the pieces as masterpieces of unique value, both archaeological and scientifically, that Greece is getting without a messy court battle. 

“They won’t return tomorrow.. But they will (gradually) return,” Mendoni said. 

“This collection was completely unknown to the ministry.”

Most of the pieces in the collection are typical, broad-faced, flat-white marble statues depicting nude women with folded arms, although there are definitely some interesting and unusual type sculptures as well. In addition there are marble bowls, vases, a terracotta frying-pan shaped dish and a pair of bracelets. 

Minister Mendoni also explained that the ministry had no evidence that the artefacts were illegally exported from Greece, even though it was something they knew, there was no way to prove it. 

“A legal effort to claim the collection was estimated to have minimal chances of success, and would not have secured the return of all 161 antiquities,” she added. 

“And we want them all repatriated.”

Source: AP News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

New tax laws in Greece lure investors during economic boom

PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis has announced a series of incentives to attract the global rich to invest in Greece. On Thursday, the government revealed a...

Tom Alegounarias on the lasting effects of COVID in Western Sydney schools

Tom Alegounarias has said that most school systems were not equipped to deal with the kind of remediations that certain disadvantaged schools will need post pandemic. 

Take action and inspire change on Mandela Day

The day was established in 2009 by the UN General Assembly to honour the "promotion and quality of peace" that Nelson Mandela embraced in his life.