Two Afghan youths sentenced to five years jail for causing catastrophic Moria fire

·

Two Afghan youths were handed down five year prison sentences in court on Wednesday for starting a fire that burnt down the Moria refugee camp on the Greek island of Lesvos.

Nearly 13,000 migrants were displaced after Greece’s largest migrant camp went up in flames in the middle of the night on September 9, 2020.

The two Afghans were 17 years old at the time of their arrest, claiming that they had nothing to do with the fire and were not at the camp when it broke out. The Lesvos court handed down the sentences after a six-hour session, the local bar association told AFP.

Photos by @th_voulgarakis on Twitter.

The group said there had been a “lack of credible evidence” presented and that it would work to overturn the verdict on appeal.

“While we are disappointed with today’s result, things could have been much worse for the two young men,” the group said in a statement.

“The arson conviction alone could have carried a sentence of up to 10 years in prison.”

The trial of four youths detained in connection to the incident is pending.

Tensions among locals and migrants became heightened following the destruction of Moria. Police reportedly blocked migrants’ entry into the villages as they slept on highway streets.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Heritage NSW confirms emergency works underway at iconic Paragon Café

A government inspection of the Paragon Café in Katoomba confirmed that emergency works are underway to secure the site from further damage.

Beach clubs to reopen in Greece on Saturday, with restrictions

Greece's Civil Protection authority announced on Wednesday a series of guidelines that will allow 515 beach clubs to open to the public on Saturday.

Manolis Mikromanolis: “We protected Italians who found themselves persecuted by the Nazis”

Manolis Mikromanolis, born in Rhodes in 1940, remembers his childhood memories after the Germans took full control of the island.