Turkey denies UK claim Lord Elgin was allowed to take Parthenon Marbles

·

Greece has found an ally in the form of Turkey’s representative at a UNESCO conference in its campaign for the return of the Parthenon Marbles.

According to Tornos News, Zeynep Boz, who heads the Turkish Culture Ministry’s department for combating trafficking in antiquities, denied Scottish diplomat Lord Elgin had permission from the then-ruling Ottoman Empire to rip the Parthenon Marbles off the Acropolis of Athens, Greece.

Ms Boz said Turkey was not aware of any Ottoman-era document legitimising the removal and sale of the Parthenon Sculptures to Lord Elgin, “so I do not think there is any room to discuss its legality even (…) according to the law of the time.”

“We eagerly look forward to celebrating the return of the Sculptures, as we believe that it will signal a change in behaviour towards the protection of cultural goods and will be the strongest message to be given worldwide,” Ms Boz added.

parthenon marbles
The Parthenon Marbles on display at the British Museum. Photo: AP

Lord Elgin said he had obtained permission in a firman, a decree, to take the Parthenon Marbles early in the 19th century. The document, translated into Italian by the British Embassy in Constantinople at the time, is now in the hands of the British Museum, which uses it to claim ownership of the marbles purchased from Elgin when he got into financial trouble.

But no official copy of it has yet been found in the Turkish government archives from the imperial era and debate continues to this day over the legal status of the document. Greece insists the marbles were stolen and Turkey had no right in any case to give away property it didn’t own.

Commenting on the conclusion of the UNESCO session from the Greek island of Rhodes, Greece’s Culture Minister Lina Mendoni said “there was never an Ottoman firman (decree) which allowed Elgin to treat the Parthenon Sculptures with such brutality.” Mendoni added that the Turkish delegate attending the session confirmed Greece’s long-standing argument.

Source: Tornos News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

The bold, beautiful and beguiling Elouise Eftos

Elouise Eftos is Australia’s first attractive comedian, which is coincidentally the name of her debut stand up show.

‘Parents are gatekeepers’: The evolution of Greek language in Australia

Greek language students returned to classrooms last week, days before International Greek Language Day on February 9.

Thanasis Petrou shines a light on the Asia Minor Catastrophe through comics

The images drawn by Thanasis Petrou have the ability to take you to another era. Browsing Thanasis' comics grip you with various emotions.