Turkey agrees to back Sweden’s NATO bid

·

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has agreed to back Sweden’s bid to join the NATO military alliance at a meeting in Vilnius, Lithuania on Monday.

Speaking on the eve of the Summit, NATO secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg said Erdogan “agreed to forward the accession protocol for Sweden to the grand national assembly as soon as possible, and work closely with the assembly to ensure ratification.”

Stoltenberg declined to give a date for when Sweden’s accession would be ratified by the Turkish parliament.

(L) Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and (R) President Joe Biden at NATO Summit, Vilnius. Photo: Daily Sabah.
(L) Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and (R) President Joe Biden at NATO Summit, Vilnius. Photo: Daily Sabah.

This news was welcomed by US President Joe Biden who said earlier on Sunday that he was working on a deal whereby Turkey would allow Sweden into NATO in return for the sale of US F-16 fighter jets to Ankara.

“Turkey is looking to modernise F16 aircraft. And (Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos) Mitsotakis in Greece is also looking for some help,” Biden told CNN.

“So what I’m trying to do honestly is to achieve a consortium where we strengthen NATO in terms of the military capability of both Greece and Turkey to allow Sweden to join the Alliance.”

The deal was on the condition the jets could not be used to threaten Greece in its ongoing maritime waters dispute with Turkey in the Aegean Sea.

Source: The Guardian.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Second Greek Youth Diaspora Symposium held in Athens

The 2nd Conference of Young People of the Greek Diaspora – Greek Youth Diaspora Symposium, concluded its proceedings in Athens.

Pope Leo XIV in Turkey: Dialogue and the renewed push for a unified Easter date

Pope Leo XIV’s first apostolic journey to Istanbul marked a historic moment in Catholic–Orthodox relations, bringing three days of prayer.

Federal Court rules against Jason Karas in multimillion-dollar partnership dispute

The Federal Court has found Adelaide lawyer Jason Karas engaged in a “dishonest and fraudulent design” to establish a global legal venture.

Election results for GOCNSW Board 2025–2027 confirmed

The Greek Orthodox Community of New South Wales (GOCNSW) held its Board election on Sunday, November 30, 2025.

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

You May Also Like

Greek government calls for public submissions on date for Greek Diaspora Day

Greece's Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister, Kostas Vlasis, has asked Greek diaspora to send their suggestions for a Greek Diaspora Day.

Melbourne surgeon George Dimitroulis accused of negligence over ‘experimental’ jaw device

Dr George Dimitroulis, a Melbourne surgeon, is being sued by a former patient in a Victorian court. He is accused of negligence.

Greek Community of Melbourne’s tribute to Mikis Theodorakis

VALE MIKIS THEODORAKIS The whole of the Greek speaking and philhellene world is reeling from the death of the great composer Mikis Theodorakis who leaves...