Trump leaves G7 summit early, putting Albanese meeting in doubt

·

US President Donald Trump has unexpectedly departed the G7 summit ahead of schedule, raising uncertainty over a planned meeting with Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.

The White House confirmed the early exit late on Monday evening, with Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt citing the deteriorating situation in the Middle East as the reason. The announcement came just moments after Albanese told reporters he was looking forward to his discussion with President Trump.

“President Trump had a great day at the G7, even signing a major trade deal with the United Kingdom and Prime Minister Keir Starmer,” Ms Leavitt posted on social media.

“Much was accomplished, but because of what’s going on in the Middle East, President Trump will be leaving tonight after dinner with Heads of State.”

It remains unclear whether there will be time to reschedule the meeting before Trump returns to Washington.

Prime Minister Albanese had just concluded a press conference in Calgary and was en route when the announcement was made. Earlier, he shared that he had sought advice from figures including US Ambassador Kevin Rudd and golfer Greg Norman in preparation for the meeting.

“I always prep seriously for meetings where I’m representing Australia,” Albanese said, adding that he had been looking forward to the meeting.

The cancelled encounter came shortly after President Trump appeared to endorse the AUKUS security pact while standing alongside UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

Starmer reaffirmed Britain’s commitment to the agreement, declaring, “We’re proceeding with it.” Trump responded warmly, saying the two nations were “long-time partners and allies and friends.”

The future of AUKUS is currently under review by the US Department of Defense.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Nicholas Stavropoulos appeals Greek rape verdict, remains on bail in Sydney

Businessman Nicholas Stavropoulos is on bail in Sydney after being convicted in Greece of raping a woman during a 2016 holiday on Mykonos.

Sophie Cotsis leading the charge for Canterbury Hospital redevelopment

“Well done to Sophie Cotsis for leading this cause. She’s never stopped fighting for locals to receive the hospital upgrade we deserve.”

Remembering Nick Polites OAM: A Melbourne jazz legend and champion of multiculturalism

A champion of multiculturalism and Melbourne jazz legend - three perfect descriptors of Nick Polites OAM who recently died at 95.