‘The George Alex 12’ reportedly blindsided as police seized assets worth millions


Alleged members of construction identity George Alex’s alleged $17 million tax fraud scheme were apparently ‘blindsided’ by the raids undertaken by police on July 21.

According to documents released by the Queensland Supreme Court, 12 people accused of being involved in the alleged syndicate were given almost no notice that the Australian Federal Police were applying to the court to freeze 99 individual assets that the police allege were funded by the proceeds of crime.

By the end of the proceedings on July 17, The George Alex 12 were ordered by the court to surrender control of millions of dollars worth of assets, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Read More: Construction figure George Alex arrested over money laundering, tax evasion

This included 14 properties, starting with Mr Alex’s waterfront apartment on the Gold Coast and a Sydney mansion in Earlwood worth $2.5 million, owned by a company linked to the construction identity.

Details on all the assets seizures can now be revealed after a non-publication order on their existence was lifted last week.


Police applied for the assets to be frozen on July 17, but the existence of the case was prevented from being revealed by a non publication order.

The order was in place because the police investigation, known as Operation Bordelon, was preparing to make pre-dawn raids in New South Wales, Queensland and the ACT, four days later that would result in 12 people being charged.

Lawyers for the police explained to the court that the order had to be kept a secret — including from the 12 people who were about to have their assets frozen — to prevent them from either hiding or offloading the assets.

It was for this reason that police lawyers explained that the application to freeze the assets had to be heard without giving any of the 12 targets notice that the case was actually happening, court documents said.

Arthur Alex leaves Southport Watchhouse in Queensland. Picture: Glenn Hampson/The Daily telegraph

Mr Alex was alleged to be the leader of the syndicate that used labour hire and payroll companies to defraud the ATO. Millions of dollars were then allegedly transferred to Australian accounts controlled by other accused syndicate members.

Alex’s 22-year-old son, Arthur was charged with conspiring to cause a loss to the Commonwealth and intentionally deal with proceeds of crime, money or property worth $1,000,000 or more. He is yet to enter a plea.




By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
Angelo Tsarouchas Skits and Wits tour


Latest News

Sydney community unite in grief at Bondi Beach candlelight vigil

Members of the community gathered in Bondi at a candlelight vigil to honour those who tragically died in the recent stabbing massacre.

Fresco of Helen of Troy uncovered at Pompeii

Nearly 2,000 years since it was buried by volcanic rubble, the lost city of Pompeii is yielding even more impressive discoveries.

New casual Greek restaurant brings meze and cocktails to Adelaide’s CBD

Andrew Papadakis, the visionary who founded and successfully sold Meze Mazi, returns to the vibrant Adelaide restaurant scene.

Two Greek women included in ’30 Under 30′ Forbes list

In this year's European Forbes "30 Under 30" list, two exceptional Greek women have managed to stand out for their successful paths.

2,300-year-old tomb unearthed in Greece

A tomb in the ancient Macedonian city of Aegae in modern Vergina, Greece,  has been unearthed according to an All That’s Interesting report.

You May Also Like

George Grosios to star in fifth season of award-winning multicultural AFL footy show

The 2022 AFL footy season heralds the NEMBC MEDIA’s weekly Multicultural AFL Footy TV Show and radio podcasts.

Greek Australian Federal Labor MPs call on community to get vaccinated

Maria Vamvakinou MP and Steve Georganas MP have launched a public appeal to the Greek Australian community to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Residents near Athens, eastern Greece count toll of wildfires

A fire near Athens broke out after the area hit a record-breaking 45°C as Greece battles its worst heatwaves and wildfires in decades.