Suspect in Greek Orthodox priest’s shooting freed, search widens in France

·

French police on Sunday released an initial suspect in the shooting of a Greek Orthodox priest and widened their search for the gunman who critically wounded the priest as he closed the door to his official residence at a church in the city of Lyon.

The Lyon prosecutor’s office said a man who was arrested shortly after Saturday’s shooting was released after they found no evidence of his involvement, suggesting that the clergyman’s assailant remained at large.

The priest remained in critical condition after being shot with a hunting rifle, said a police official, who was not authorised to be publicly named according to police policy.

French soldiers and Municipal Police officers stand behind a cordon-off area near the Orthodox Church. File: Jeff Pachoud/AFP.

READ MORE: Suspect at large after Orthodox priest shot in France.

The Greek Orthodox Holy Diocese of France identified the victim as the Reverend Nikolaos Kakavelakis, and said he was scheduled to return soon to Greece after his time working at the Lyon church.

“We pray for a speedy recovery and unequivocally condemn all forms of violence,” it said.

The motive for the shooting remains unclear. Anti-terrorism prosecutors are not investigating the case, and the Lyon prosecutor opened an attempted murder investigation.

The Greek Orthodox Holy Diocese of France identified the victim as the Reverend Nikolaos Kakavelakis.

Police cordons in the vicinity of the church, located in a residential area of central Lyon, were removed and the search area was widened to the broader Lyon area, the national police service said.

France has been under high security alert after the killing of three people at a Nice church on Thursday, amid global tensions over cartoons of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad published in a French newspaper. The French President has promised more protection for religious sites.

It also came amid tensions within the Greek Orthodox community in Lyon. The priest, a Greek citizen, had been involved in a long-running legal dispute with a former monk who was convicted of defamation, according to French media reports.

The head of the Greek Orthodox Church in France, Emmanuel Adamakis, told French radio station Europe 1 that Kakavelakis was no longer conducting services in Lyon and “had been asked to return to Greece.”

The attack appeared to have taken place in a small courtyard in the back of the church, where the priest had been living in an official church apartment, Adamakis said.

Antoine Callot, the pastor at another Greek Orthodox church in Lyon, told The Associated Press that the city’s Greek Orthodox community has not received any threats, but said he immediately asked police for security protection at his church after Saturday’s shooting.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC to face Auckland FC in historic OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC will face Auckland FC in the historic inaugural OFC Pro League final on Sunday at Eden Park.

Cretan community commemorates Battle of Crete with gala event in Sydney

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW filled Sydney with Cretan music, remembrance and celebration during its annual dance evening.

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

You May Also Like

Elion Society of South Australia celebrate annual dance and 2024 Paris Olympics

Festivities were thriving at the Elion Society of South Australia "The Olympic Flame" (ESSA) over the weekend.

Full house, festive feast and Federal leader Albanese: Kazzies in Victoria celebrate 100 years

There was a flurry at the Kastellorizian Association of Victoria (KAV) on Sunday, August 31 as it celebrated a century of Kazzies in Victoria.

Pontian Genocide Memorial Seminar to be held at Melbourne’s Greek centre

The Greek Centre will host the Pontian Genocide Memorial Seminar on May 18, 2023 at 7pm, as part of the Greek History and Culture Seminars.