St Basil’s inquiry: Aspen Medical replacement staff ‘literally graduates’

·

Aspen Medical provided St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Fawkner with workers who were “literally graduates”, with the majority having no experience in aged care. 

The contractor was awarded millions to provide surge staff after the Victorian chief health officer Brett Sutton stood the home’s entire workforce down on July 22 last year. Professor Sutton is due to give evidence at the inquest next Wednesday.

Neil Callagher, then head of the Commonwealth Aged Care COVID-19 Implementation Branch, said finding staff to attend to frail residents wasn’t easy.

Mr. Callagher told Victoria’s Coroners Court he was under the impression Aspen would be providing experienced aged care workers. 

The inquest heard many of the workers never showed up or refused to take the job when learning the home was the site of an outbreak, and those who did were reduced to tears during their time at the home, according to The Australian.

The inquest into the deaths of 50 residents at the home in 2020 – Australia’s deadliest aged care COVID-19 outbreak – continues.

Source: The Australian

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

NZ Defence Minister praises enduring friendship forged on Crete in 1941

NZ Defence Minister Chris Penk has marked the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete and the Greek Campaign.

You May Also Like

Perth’s Lord Mayor Disaster Relief Fund activated to support bushfire victims

Over $2.5 million has already been raised after the Lord Mayor’s Distress Relief Fund was activated on Wednesday.

Canberra Karpathian Association’s annual fishing competition reels in success

Every year, the Karpathian Progressive Association of Canberra hosts their annual Karpathian Tuross Classic fishing competition.

Press conferences and PR slip ups bring Scott Morrison under more fire

Australia is currently experiencing its most severe fire season to date, with the country announcing it an official state of emergency. While the rest...