SA tomato farmer Peter Petsios demands answers after biosecurity backflip

·

South Australian tomato grower Peter Petsios is calling for an inquiry and threatening legal action after the federal government abandoned efforts to eradicate the tomato brown rugose fruit virus (ToBRFV), a decision he says came too late to save his business.

Petsios, owner of SA Tomato, said the now-defunct eradication policy cost him $4 million, his health, and his 65-year-old family business, which has been shut for months.

“This is the worst thing that’s happened to me – it’s like a death in the family,” he said.

The virus was detected in South Australia in July 2023, leading to widespread quarantine measures and severe industry disruption.

Petsios said he and other growers had advocated early on for a virus management strategy, in line with international approaches, rather than eradication.

The tomato virus. Photo: Growing Produce.

“This should have been a one-week issue,” he said. “Common sense has finally prevailed… We want answers now.”

The federal biosecurity committee’s change in strategy followed the discovery of infected seedlings in Victoria that originated from a nursery in New South Wales — a state previously unlinked to the virus.

Petsios described the emotional and physical toll as immense, citing persistent health issues caused by stress. “I could have had a heart attack. I could have been dead,” he said.

Primary Industries Minister Clare Scriven said SA Tomato had received some compensation and was eligible for further reimbursement.

However, opposition MP Nicola Centofanti criticised the government’s “reactive” response, saying early transparency and consistent national policy could have prevented significant losses.

Petsios now intends to pursue legal action to recover damages, stating, “I’m gonna have to work right around the clock for the rest of my life to pay this debt off.”

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Daniel Theophanou and his mum create the ultimate Australia Day dress

Daniel Theophanou and his mum upcycled an Australian flag dress and included a collar and hat in the colours of the Aboriginal flag.

Prominent Greek women recognised by OEEGA NSW at International Women’s Day lunch

OEEGA NSW held its annual International Women's Day luncheon over the weekend, where four prominent women from the Greek community were presented with Awards of Excellence.

Greek flag to fly in Canterbury-Bankstown City to honour OXI Day

Canterbury-Bankstown Councillors have voted to fly the Greek flag in recognition of the annual OXI Day celebrations.