SA man speaks out after bonfire proposal to Elizabeth Parsalidis ends in disaster

·

South Australian man Adam Boots has spoken out after his romantic bonfire proposal to Elizabeth Parsalidis turned into a fiery tragedy.

Father-of-two Adam was planning to propose to his partner of 11 years in front of a bonfire at their Clare Valley home in October 2023, but the day took a dangerous turn.

“She was on her way home, I was rushing a bit so I threw the fuel [accelerant] on… because I was rushing, I didn’t think I put that much fuel on,” Adam told The Advertiser.

“I just reached in to light it up and it’s blown up in my face.”

The 28-year-old was shocked, but managed to drive himself to the local hospital. He was in pain but that didn’t stop him from popping the question.

Clare Valley couple Adam Boots and Elizabeth Parsalidis with children Eliyanah, 3, and Azariah, 19 months. Picture: Supplied
Clare Valley couple Adam Boots and Elizabeth Parsalidis with children Eliyanah, 3, and Azariah, 19 months. Picture: The Advertiser.

“[The ring] was in my car parked out the front. I asked her to go get the bag out of the car and when she brought it to me, I took it out and did the deed,” he said.

Ms Parsalidis said she’s sad the way the proposal turned out, but happy to be engaged. The couple are now preparing to get married in March 2025 in Clare Valley and are expecting their third child.

Adam spent seven days in hospital and continued treatment for burns to his face, hand, arm, back and right knee for another couple of weeks. He still has scars on his right hand and knee.

Adam has also recently spoken out as part of a Kidsafe Australia campaign to warn others about the dangers of firepits and accelerants during National Burns Awareness Month.

“Don’t use accelerants if you don’t have to and be very vigilant if you are,” he said.

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘I do feel Greek’: Novak Djokovic settles into life in Athens

Tennis champion Novak Djokovic has spoken openly about feeling Greek as he settles into life in Athens after relocating from Serbia.

Greece moves ahead with major offshore exploration south of Crete

Greece has signed concession agreements for four offshore hydrocarbon exploration blocks south of Crete and the Peloponnese.

Renowned Byzantine scholar Hélène Glykatzi-Ahrweiler dies aged 99

Renowned Byzantine historian Hélène Glykatzi-Ahrweiler has died at the age of 99, marking the passing of an influential Greek scholars.

St George Thebarton committee responds to controversy over Father Diogenis’ resignation

Following widespread concern over the resignation of Father Diogenis Patsouris, the St George Thebarton committee has issued a statement.

Emmy-winning TV producer Dana Eden found dead in Greece

Israeli television producer Dana Eden, co-creator of the Emmy-winning series Tehran, has died suddenly in Athens.

You May Also Like

Over 1,000 Ukrainian refugees have arrived in Greece since Russian invasion

A total of 1,032 Ukrainians have arrived in Greece since Russia’s invasion began five days ago, authorities said on Monday.

Cretan dancing extravaganza at National Convention event in Victoria

There was a Cretan dancing extravaganza at the Cretan Federation of Australia and New Zealand's dinner dance in Melbourne, Victoria on Friday.

International travellers arriving in Greece to face reduced 3-day quarantine

The decision was reached after there was a strong reaction from Greeks who had already booked their flight to return to Greece during the Christmas period.