SA dementia patient Nicolaos Malandris denied bail amid attempted murder case

·

An 88-year-old dementia patient facing an attempted murder charge has been denied bail after his lawyer argued for his transfer to a public hospital.

Nicolaos Malandris, who has been remanded in custody since October, was seeking bail to be moved to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woodville, but Adelaide Magistrates Court rejected the application on Thursday, January 16.

Malandris’ lawyer, Vageli Dimou, argued that his client should not remain in supervised remand and described the case as “destined for the Supreme Court.” However, prosecutors opposed the move, citing concerns about the safety of other patients, and Magistrate Brian Nitschke agreed.

“At this stage, I’m not prepared to grant bail … his present location ensures his safety and the safety of the public and the alleged victim,” Magistrate Nitschke said.

Adelaide Magistrates Court.

Malandris, of Wingfield, is facing one count of attempted murder and one count of causing serious harm with intent following an incident in October 2024, in which he allegedly injured an 85-year-old woman known to him.

Dimou previously argued that Malandris could not receive his pension while in custody, which hindered his ability to be assessed and transferred to a more appropriate facility.

Prosecutors also noted that Malandris is subject to a “level three inpatient order,” which complicates his custodial status and any potential bail.

Dimou proposed alternative arrangements for bail, but Magistrate Nitschke refused, remanding Malandris in custody until his next court appearance in April.

Source: The Advertiser.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Athenian Association of NSW hosts ‘Rebetiko of Athens’ evening

Athenian Association of NSW hosted a special cultural evening in Lakemba celebrating the history and legacy of Greek rebetiko music.

Australian Hellenic Choir to present tribute concert honouring Giorgos Zambetas

Australian Hellenic Choir will present a tribute concert celebrating the music and legacy of Greek artist Giorgos Zambetas in Sydney.

Chris Christofi honoured in Cyprus for philanthropy

Chris Christofi has received a philanthropy honour in Cyprus, for his charitable work and community impact at the CYDIA Awards 2026.

St Spyridon College marks 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

St Spyridon College commemorated the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a wreath-laying ceremony.

Arthur Diles departs Melbourne Victory after Grand Final season

Melbourne Victory has confirmed the departure of head coach Arthur Diles following the conclusion of his contract.

You May Also Like

Doxology marks arrival of Patriarchal delegation in Sydney ahead of clergy synaxis

On Thursday, a Doxology was celebrated at the Cathedral of the Annunciation of Our Lady in Sydney to welcome the Patriarchal delegation.

Delphi Economic Forum to open in Greece with strong Australian presence

As global uncertainty intensifies and geopolitical tensions reshape the international landscape, leaders, policymakers and experts.

Greek Minister says there’s no plan for Greece to welcome exiled Palestinians

The Greek Foreign Affairs Minister revealed that Greece has "absolutely no plan or intention" to welcome Palestinians facing expulsion.