Russia’s Foreign Ministry threatens Greece over plans to deliver missiles to Ukraine

·

Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Monday that a potential delivery of Greece’s S-300 PMU1 missile defence system to Ukraine would be considered a very provocative move.

The Ministry published this threat on their official website on behalf of spokeswoman Maria Zakharova.

In the statement, Zakharova said that plans to hand over to Kyiv S-300 and other air defence equipment are provocative and “a blatantly aggressive move against Russia.”

Zakharova also stated the potential transfer of the missile defence system to Ukraine will be a “gross violation” of Russian-Greek intergovernmental agreements on military-technical cooperation and “will inevitably have consequences.”

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova.

“There should be no doubt that all military equipment supplied to Kiev will be promptly traced and destroyed by the Russian Armed Forces,” the spokeswoman added in her statement.

“While there is yet time, such dangerous plans should be abandoned. Once again, we are warning the Greek authorities of their responsibility.”

This Russian statement comes as last week Greek Defence Minister Nikolaos Panagiotopoulos admitted that the Greek government was ready to send S-300 air defence systems from Crete to Ukraine if the US “installs Patriot systems in their place.”

Back in September, Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said the country would not provide Ukraine with S-300 surface-to-air missiles because such support for the war-torn country “should not come at the expense of weakening Greece’s defence system.”

READ MORE: Greece rejects Turkey’s claims Greek missiles locked on its fighter jets.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Embrace tradition at the Kytherian Association of Australia’s Debutante Ball

Young females are preparing for their public debut at the Kytherian Association of Australia’s annual Debutante Ball on Saturday, May 18.

‘This is a health response’: Dr Fiona Martin defends India flight ban on ABC’s Q&A program

"This is not a political response. This is a health response. This decision has been based on health advice," Fiona Martin said, referring to the repatriation flights.

Record number of 284 cases in Greece as emergency measures issued for Lesvos

Greek health authorities announced a daily record 284 new coronavirus cases on Sunday. There were also two new deaths.