Qantas fined $250,000 for illegally standing down Theo Seremetidis 

·

Qantas has been fined $250,000 and convicted for illegally standing down former worker, Theo Seremetidis during the pandemic after he raised concerns about the risk of COVID-19 to staff cleaning aircraft from China.

Seremetides, who was an elected health and safety representative at the time employed by subsidiary Qantas Ground Services (QGS) at Sydney International Airport, was sidelined in early 2020.

NSW District Court Judge David Russell last year found the airline engaged in discriminatory conduct, accepting that Seremetidis was unfairly kept cut off from other staff who were seeking his help.

Qantas last week agreed to pay Seremetidis $21,000 for economic and non-economic loss.

Former QANTAS cleaner, Theo Seremetidi leaves the Downing Centre District Court, John Madison Tower, Sydney, Friday, November 3, 2023. Photo: AAP/Dean Lewins.

Today, Judge Russell ordered that QGS be convicted and fined $250,000, finding that the conduct involved significant culpability and was deliberate rather than inadvertent.

“The conduct against Mr Seremetidis was quite shameful,” the judge said.

Half of the fine was ordered to be paid to the prosecutor.

The NSW Minister for Work Health and Safety Sophie Cotsis has welcomed the landmark conviction and fine of Qantas.

“As a first principle no Work Health and Safety rep should be stood down for doing their job,” Ms Cotsis said.

“I greatly appreciate the work that the TWU has done to support workplace health and safety. I am also very pleased SafeWork took the initiative in this case to ensure the rights of Health and Safety reps were protected.

Sophie Cotsis. Photo: Bianca De Marchi/AAP Photos.
Sophie Cotsis. Photo: Bianca De Marchi/AAP Photos.

“Let this case stand as a warning, not just to Qantas but to all employers, not to discriminate against their health and safety reps.

“Given this was a first-of-its-kind case, the New South Wales Government will take time to review the outcome.”

In a statement a Qantas spokesperson said the airline accepted the penalties.

“We agreed to compensation for Theo Seremetidis and the court has today made orders for that compensation to be paid,” the spokesperson said.

“We acknowledged in court the impact that this incident had on Mr Seremetidis and apologised to him.”

Source: ABC

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Remembering the Cazzie Club, jewel of the Greek community in Sydney

The Castellorizian Club, or what many knew as the Cazzie Club, was a staple institution for Greeks in Sydney.

Greek Australian referees win big at Football Victoria’s awards night

Greek Australian referees celebrated the 2023 season on Thursday night at the Football Victoria Referee Awards.

‘My Christening Box’ modernise religious icons

Co-founders of 'My Christening Box,' Mary Panayi and Soula Violakis, have modernised religious icons according to the needs of their clients.