Federal MP calls on Scott Morrison to condemn Hagia Sophia decision

·

Federal Member for Adelaide Steve Georganas has sent a letter to Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Foreign Affairs Minister Marise Payne, requesting the Australian leaders to condemn the actions of the Turkish government in moving to convert the Hagia Sophia museum into a mosque.

“We ask that the Australian Government urge President Erdogan to reverse his decision and restore Hagia Sophia as a museum for people of all faiths and all cultures,” Mr Georganas said in his letter to the Prime Minister.

“This decision is not only disrespectful towards Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, founder of the Turkish Republic, but to the many communities from around the world as it also constitutes a violation of the world cultural heritage memorial as Hagia Sophia is a UNESCO listed site.”

Photo: ABC News/Nick Haggarty

In response, a spokesperson from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has released a statement.

“Hagia Sophia is a unique and historic symbol for Turkey and the surrounding region, which holds religious and cultural significance for many religious communities and other groups,” the spokesperson says in the statement.

“It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and Australia would like to see Hagia Sophia remain open to all.”

Read More: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia condemns conversion of Hagia Sophia into Mosque

Read More: Bill Papastergiadis calls on Australian Prime Minister to condemn decision to convert Hagia Sophia into a mosque

The Greek Orthodox Community of Melbourne also previously requested for the Australian Prime Minister to denounce the decision, with GCM President Bill Papastergiadis emphasising the importance and symbolic role of Hagia Sophia.

“Hagia Sofia Is a significant cultural monument acknowledged by UNESCO to be of World significance. It plays a significant symbolic role in the life of many people around the world, including Australians of Greek background,” Mr Papastergiadis wrote to Scott Morrison.

“The decision last week by the Turkish authorities to reinstate it as a mosque has been condemned worldwide and we now call on the Australian Government to add to the outcry.”

The Australian Prime Minister has not yet responded to the global crisis currently underway in the Eastern European region.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC to face Auckland FC in historic OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC will face Auckland FC in the historic inaugural OFC Pro League final on Sunday at Eden Park.

Cretan community commemorates Battle of Crete with gala event in Sydney

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW filled Sydney with Cretan music, remembrance and celebration during its annual dance evening.

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

You May Also Like

Hilton Athens to be renovated and renamed ‘Conrad’ as of 2024

Hilton Athens, the iconic hotel which first opened in 1963, is to be turned into a "multipurpose destination" by its owners.

Cretan Paniyiri at Peats Ridge takes Sydney by storm

Relentless rain, lightning and thunder couldn't dampen the Cretan spirit on Saturday night at the Cretan Paniyiri in Peats Ridge.

Professor Anastasios Tamis: We can live with the Turks

In my previous article, we referred to historical moments that showed how Greco-Turkish relations sometimes brought the peoples together.