Plexiglass barriers to separate tourists on Santorini as Greece wants visitors to return

·

There is a new addition at a bar on Santorini. The beach lounge chairs are surrounded by plexiglass screens, a precaution against coronavirus once the island starts getting visitors again.

Beach bar owner Charlie Chahine says he does not like it, but if that is the way it has to be for tourists to return, then that is what he is doing.

“We hope these constructions you see are not going to be the future for beaches. We don’t want this, but if this is necessary, and if this is what people’s safety depends on, such a construction or any such construction – we (just) want to work, we want to get going,” said Chahine.

Businesses on Greece’s most popular holiday island are adopting all kinds of hygiene measures, anxious for the season to start.

They are aware they will have already missed months of business if the country opens to tourists in July, as the government has forecast as the country eases lockdown measures that began on March 23.

Impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak on the island of Santorini. Photo: Reuters

Santorini is a popular destination for tourists globally. Each summer its cobblestone streets are crammed. In 2018 2 million people came to this volcanic island. It is also a popular destination for weddings and honeymoons. Now the streets and rooftop terraces are empty.

Vice President of the Santorini Hotel Association Andreas Patiniotis said bookings in June last year were at 70%, while at the moment it hovers at 30% at most. He acknowledges things will not be easy.

“I believe we have to start somewhere, so that there is work for our suppliers, for our employees. There are so many people that depend on hotels.”

Hotel owner Panagiotis Loutos has been carrying out repairs on his property. Looking at his empty pool, he says it is not just the fears of financial loss. His heart breaks to see his hotel sitting empty.

“We are going to be ready in 10 days, that is the only thing that is sure. We see the (preparations) and we are happy, but it hurts, (because) the absence of people – it’s something you can’t even talk about,” he said.

Sourced By: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Join event in Melbourne to celebrate Lord Byron’s legacy

An tribute evening featuring poetry, music, and lectures celebrating the legacy of Lord Byron is set to take place this October.

Top 10 districts to live in Athens and Thessaloniki

The best areas of Athens to live in have been presented, following a nationwide survey based on safety and other factors.

Greek PM expresses shock at ‘heinous attack’ on Slovak leader

Greece's Prime Minister has expressed his shock at the "heinous attack" on his Slovak counterpart Robert Fico on Wednesday.