PETA spokesperson Aleesha Naxakis blasted for telling farmers not to kill rodents

·

An animal rights organisation known as the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has suffered severe backlash for demanding farmers not kill the mice plaguing their properties in regional Australia.

PETA Media Officer Aleesha Naxakis came under fire after telling farmers to avoid using poison to kill the animals, instead to use humane traps to allow them to be “caught gently and released unharmed.”

“These bright, curious animals are just looking for food to survive,” Naxakis told NCA NewsWire.

“They shouldn’t be robbed of that right because of the dangerous notion of human supremacy.”

The mouse plague is costing farmers up to $150,000, a NSW Farmers’ survey has found. Photo: NSW Farmers

Naxakis’ comments have sparked an angry backlash from farmers and Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack, who lashed PETA as “idiots who have never been outside the city”.

“The real rats in this whole plague are the people who come out with bloody stupid ideas like this,” he said, according to news.com.au.

“Their thinking around this is reprehensible, when you have farmers struggling.

“You have these people who have never left the city and wouldn’t know if their backside was on fire, then all of a sudden they’re telling farmers what to do?

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack Photo: ABC

“The only good mouse is a dead mouse.”

Last week the NSW government announced a $50m rescue package, free poison for farmers and mice bait rebates of $1000 for small businesses and $500 for households.

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro slammed the PETA spokeswoman’s comments as “ridiculous” and an “insult” to farmers doing it tough.

“I would laugh if this wasn’t so serious,” he said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

South Australians commemorate Cretan battle with proud cultural display

The Cretan Association of South Australia commemorated the 83rd anniversary of the Battle of Crete with a proud cultural display.

Bankrupt pub baron Jon Adgemis loses Rose Bay property windfall

Broke Sydney pubs entrepreneur Jon Adgemis missed out on a major property gain after lenders seized his Rose Bay home.

Echoes of the Past: A film capturing the atrocities of the Kalavryta Massacre

Echoes of the Past: A film capturing the atrocities of the Kalavryta Massacre. The Greek Herald interviews Stelios Cotionis.