Penelope Katsavos says she misses ‘feeling safe’ after vicious attack in Melbourne

·

78-year-old grandmother, Penelope Katsavos, says she misses ‘feeling safe’ after being beaten unconscious in a vicious attack outside of South Yarra Greek Orthodox Church in Victoria last year, The Age has reported.

Ms Katsavos was unlocking the front door of the church, where she volunteered, when 27-year-old Amrick Roy viciously attacked her shortly after 6am on March 13, 2021.

She lay alone on the ground on Barry Street for half an hour before she was found by a council worker. Ms Katsavos suffered bleeding on the brain, a fractured wrist, severe facial injuries and a badly broken pelvis.

Penelope Katsavos after the attack.

In a victim impact statement read to the County Court of Victoria on Friday, Ms Katsavos said the impact of these crimes have been “immense, life-changing and utterly devastating first and foremost to me and then like a shockwave throughout my entire family.”

The grandmother of six said the attack robbed her of her independence and the ability to care for her husband.

Penelope Katsavos with her husband Thomas, who suffers dementia.

“At 78, I was looking forward to spending any time I had left loving and caring for my husband. Amrick Roy, your choice means I’ll be spending my last days, months and years trying to cope with pain and fatigue… isolated from my friends and family and separated from my husband,” the statement reads.

“I miss having freedom, I miss feeling safe… No sentence you are given will change the life sentence you have given me.”

Despite this, Ms Katsavos added that she had forgiven Roy and hoped he would somehow learn to be a better person.

Ms Katsavos said she has forgiven Roy (left). Photo: (R) Lana Murphy Twitter/Nine News.

Roy has pleaded guilty to five charges including recklessly causing serious injury, robbery and three counts of assault stemming from his spree of violent attacks in Prahran and South Yarra.

He remains in custody ahead of sentencing.

Source: The Age.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

From family kitchen to cookbook: Ela na Fame packed launch event

It was standing room only at Eleni’s Kitchen in Yarraville as the local Greek community and food lovers gathered to celebrate.

Greece draws with France in Euro 2024 qualifying match

Greece's team played an excellent second half to draw 2-2 with France in its final Euro 2024 qualifying match.

Raptis sisters left devastated as SA music school faces second government acquisition

Koula and Mary Raptis are “devastated and heartbroken” after learning their music school, Allegro Music, is to be acquired by the government.