Nursing home CEO expects ‘Golden Age’ to be over for Epping Gardens co-owners

·

Co-owners of the coronavirus-stricken nursing home Epping Gardens should be prepared for a tough industry environment, Heritage Care chief executive Greg Reeve says to Sydney Morning Herald.

Greek Australian investors Tony Antonopoulos and Peter Arvanitis, who each own half of Heritage Care, have made good money in the past from the aged care sector. Yet now, the profits are expected to come to a dwindling halt.

A report from aged care accountant StewartBrown showed that 60 per cent of Australian aged care homes recorded an operating loss in the nine months to March this year because of falling occupancy and rising costs.

Heritage Care directors and shareholders Areti and Peter Arvanitis, and Stacey and Tony Antonopoulos at the launch of the new Rolls-Royce luxury showroom in Richmond, Melbourne in 2017.

Mr Reeve said the company’s 10 nursing homes in NSW and Victoria, including Epping Gardens, were struggling in a tough industry environment, as were most others in the sector.

“Both directors have injected significant capital into Heritage Care in recent years to refurbish the homes and significantly improve standards,” he told SMH.

The Sydney Morning Herald also shared new details on the “lavish” lifestyle of Mr Antonopoulos and his wife, Stacey, who together own a $10.5 million Canterbury mansion, and prestige cars including a Lamborghini, a Maserati and a limited-edition Rolls-Royce.

“In the past there was money to be made from aged care, but at the moment few people want to invest,” Mr Reeve said. “One may well ask why we’re in the game. It’s because we believe the situation will turn around, and Heritage wants to be a boutique, high-quality provider.”

Epping Gardens aged care home is at the centre of a coronavirus outbreak that has hit 135 people, according to figures released on Tuesday. Mr Reeve conceded that a group of staff members had held a “baby shower” at the aged care home and had been stood down as a result, but he insisted that Epping Gardens had been “absolutely, categorically prepared” for the pandemic, with enough training and equipment.

He said he had been calling from early in the pandemic for ill residents to be moved out to hospital based on clinical need, but that “this was opposed by the Department and the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission as not being the best process”.

“The issue was that we could not get access to staff when we needed them, due to the rate of infections, so staff were on sick leave or simply unavailable due to the fear of working in such an environment. That’s just the harsh reality.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Tributes flow for John Iordanis killed in multi-car crash on SA freeway

Tributes are flowing today for John Iordanis after he was killed in a multi-car crash along the Southern Expressway in South Australia.

Greek government condemns vandalism by PAOK fans of Thessaloniki MP’s office

Greek government spokesman Stelios Petsas condemned the attack at the office of a New Democracy lawmaker by PAOK fans in the northern port city of Thessaloniki on Wednesday evening.

Why Greek youth are suffering in silence and the importance of intergenerational dialogue

“Just because you can’t see a mental illness, unlike a physical illness, doesn’t mean it’s not real,” Stella Ladikos says to The Greek Herald.