Nearly 149,000 migrants crossed border to enter Greece, Turkish defence minister says

·

Almost 149,000 asylum-seekers and other migrants have crossed Turkey’s northwestern border to enter Greece since February 28, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said on Wednesday.

“We have had 148,763 people crossing the Greek border since February 28,” Mr Akar said in a televised interview.

Thousands of migrants waiting at the Greek-Turkish border. Source: AFP/ Getty Images.

Turkey has been a key transit point for migrants aiming to cross into Europe to start new lives, especially those fleeing war and persecution.

Thousands of migrants had camped at Turkey’s border with Greece after Ankara declared in late February that it would no longer stop them from going to Europe, accusing the EU of not upholding its part of a 2016 refugee deal.

In response, Greece decided to suspend new asylum applications until April and summarily deport those arriving in last month’s surge.

This move continues to be criticised by human rights agencies and non-governmental organisations such as Amnesty International and the Human Rights Watch.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greek Orthodox schools honour top HSC achievers at Sydney ceremony

Students from Sydney’s Greek Orthodox schools were formally recognised this week for their results in the 2025 NSW HSC examinations.

Andrew Lazarus buys Horsley Park Tavern for $25 million

Hotelier Andrew Lazarus has purchased the Horsley Park Tavern in western Sydney for about $25 million, expanding his portfolio.

Mayor Jim Grivas responds to St Haralambos Greek Festival parking fine backlash

Mayor of Manningham, Jim Grivas, has acknowledged community anger over parking fines issued during the recent St Haralambos Greek Festival.

Alex Hawke dumped from Liberal Party frontbench in Angus Taylor reshuffle

Alex Hawke has been relegated to the backbench after new Opposition Leader Angus Taylor unveiled a revamped shadow cabinet.

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

You May Also Like

Ariel Winter slices off tip of thumb while making Greek food

Ariel Winter took an unplanned trip to the hospital yesterday after slicing off the tip of her thumb off while making Greek food during lockdown.

Professor Michael Kassiou on how his Greek heritage inspires his medical innovations

Greek Australian Professor Michael Kassiou has been named a finalist in the 2023 Australian Museum Eureka Prizes.

Maria Sakkari and coach Tom Hill end six-year tennis partnership

World number nine, Greece's Maria Sakkari, and her longtime coach, Tom Hill, announced their tennis partnership split on Thursday.