Metro Trains executive Peter Bollas admits accepting corrupt payments

·

A public transport executive has been caught on a phone tap telling a cleaning company he would “cover up” for them, after it emerged they had failed to spray down a Melbourne train at the start of the state’s first coronavirus surge.

The admission is contained within a secretly recorded phone call played in public hearings before Victoria’s Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC), which is probing serious misconduct claims in the state’s public transport sector.

In the call, Metro Trains fleet manager Peter Bollas, who on Wednesday confessed he had taken up to $150,000 in corrupt cash payments, told the director of a cleaning company: “I’m not against you, I’m f***ing for you.”

At the time of the alleged corruption, Mr Bollas managed the cleaning contract at Metro Trains, which was awarded to a company called Transclean.

As part of that contract, Mr Bollas and then V/Line chief executive James Pinder collected multiple cash payments of up to $10,000 from the boss of the cleaning company.

The payments continued for about four years.

Executives both sacked

Mr Pinder denies any wrongdoing, and claims the men were in a secret gambling syndicate.

He was today sacked by V/Line after being suspended in August.

Transclean’s contract with the network has also been terminated. Late Thursday, Metro Trains CEO Raymond O’Flaherty said he had sacked Mr Bollas, who had been stood down since August.

Mr O’Flaherty also said he was appointing an independent auditor to review Metro Trains’ procurement and probity processes.

“Metro has zero tolerance for any behaviours or actions that compromise our commitment to safety and integrity across our organisation,” he said in a statement.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Nikolas Hatzistergos appointed Chairman as Bank of Sydney welcomes new Board members

Bank of Sydney recently announced that Dr Nicholas Pappas AM has stepped down as Chairman of its board, after nearly two decades.

Antetokounmpo sues artist over alleged ‘Greek Freak’ knockoffs

Milwaukee Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo, the 2019 National Basketball Association most valuable player, sued a Pennsylvania man on Monday for allegedly selling “Greek Freak”...

From lifeline to legacy: SydWest marks 40 years of impact

SydWest Multicultural Services marked a major milestone on Thursday, November 27, celebrating 40 years of service and community impact.