Melbourne serial stabber Christopher Raftopoulos refuses to give DNA to police

·

After failure to allow police to swab his mouth, the Greek man from Melbourne Victoria who was accused of stabbing five people earlier this month will now be forced to hand over his DNA to police.

The Greek man, Christopher Raftopoulos is currently spending time in the prison psychiatric ward, after facing 15 different charges, which include recklessly causing injury. 

The Age shared that Mr Raftopoulos made an appearance in Melbourne’s Magistrates Court on Friday via video link with his new lawyer. 

Raftopoulos
The Greek man, Christopher Raftopoulos. Photo: News.com.au.

Prosecutors in the court then ordered him to undergo compulsory forensic procedures to obtain his DNA as he refused a swab to be taken.

“The type of compulsory procedure sought is a buccal swab of the mouth, for the purposes of obtaining a DNA sample to compare with the DNA profile from a knife that was seized,” a prosecutor told the court.

The 31-year-old’s new lawyer Daniel Thompson said although he did not oppose the application, Raftopoulos told him he would not provide his consent to the procedure.

Magistrate Kieran Gilligan made orders for police to take Raftopoulos’ DNA swab, and if need be,  force may be used for the procedure to be conducted.

“The respondent has refused to give consent to the request or is incapable of giving reasonable consent by way of mental impairment,” Mr Gilligan said.

Mr Raftopoulos will return to court on February 12.

Source: The Age.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Greek government to establish Mobile Passport Application Units in remote areas abroad

Mobile Passport Application Units are being established for Greek citizens residing in remote areas abroad.

Thanasi Kokkinakis qualifies for Cincinnati Masters

Thanasi Kokkinakis has qualified for the Cincinnati Masters, after erasing 3 consecutive match points.

Archbishop Makarios of Australia joins Ecumenical Patriarch for services at Phanar

Archbishop Makarios of Australia officiated the Second Service of the Salutations at Saint George in Phanar, Turkey on Friday, March 29.