Macquarie named preferred bidder for stake in Greek power grid operator

·

Public Power Corp (PPC), Greece’s biggest power utility, on Thursday formally named Australian infrastructure giant, Macquarie, as the preferred bidder for a minority stake in its fully-owned power grid operator, Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator (HEDNO).

PPC shareholders will take a final decision on the bid at a meeting scheduled for October 19, PPC said.

PPC earlier this month said the offer by Spear WTE Investments Sarl, a member of the Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets Group, valued the 49% stake at 2.1 billion euros, including debt of 804 million euros, making it the highest among four groups which issued binding bids.

READ MORE: Australian company declared highest bidder for stake in Greece’s national grid operator.

PPC sources said it was the biggest privatisation in Greek history and noted that PPC will be able to significantly reduce its borrowing while it will also fund its investment program in renewable energy sources.

At the same time, HEDNO, with the support and know-how over an international partner and under PPC’s management, will develop an expanded modernisation and digitalisation program of its network, offering better and more quality services.

HEDNO operates a 242,000-km long grid, which brings electricity to about 7 million households and businesses across Greece.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

City of West Torrens honours Fr Diogenis Patsouris OAM with Civic Award

The Council of the City of West Torrens held a special civic reception in honour of the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM JP.

Dr Themistocles Kritikakos to launch genocide recognition book in Sydney

Historian Dr Themistocles Kritikakos’ new book has been presented in Melbourne as part of a public seminar series.

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

You May Also Like

Polytechnic Memorial Committee to hold commemoration events in Melbourne 

November 17, 1973, Polytechnic uprising marked the modern history of Greece and laid the foundations for the democratic consciousness.

Six iconic images on Anzac Biscuit Tins devoted to 80th anniversary of the Battle of Crete

Six iconic images all relating to the Battle of Crete will feature on the BAKERS FINEST Commemorative Anzac Biscuit Tins.

Cassi Plate’s ‘Monster and Colossus’: exploring the friendship of Costas Taktsis and Carl Plate

Among the writers who will be showcased at the Greek Australian Writer's Festival of Sydney is Cassi Plate with her novel Monster and Colossus