Locals oppose new migrant camp construction on Lesvos claiming ‘Moria is over’

·

Greece has begun setting up tents on Friday for thousands of migrants left without shelter on the island of Lesvos after a fire destroyed Greece’s biggest refugee camp three days ago.

The Municipality of Mytilini have expressed their opposition towards the development of any new refugee facility, saying they will do “anything possible” to ensure a decision is not carried out.

“The decision is final on this issue and it would be best for the competent authorities to understand this and cooperate,” the municipality said, calling on the government to “review its decision, before it is too late.”

The Municipality is not the only one with concerns however, with anger growing among residents of an island whose location a few miles (km) off the Turkish coast has kept them on the frontline of Europe’s migrant crisis for years.

Refugees and migrants from the destroyed Moria camp protest after the news about the creation of a new temporary camp on the island of Lesbos, Greece September 11, 2020. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis

“Moria is a monstrosity,” Dimitris Koursoubas, a senior official responsible for migration in the northern Aegean islands, told Reuters, saying the fire which destroyed the camp presented a “tragic opportunity” to find a new solution.

“We want all the migrants out, for national reasons. Moria is over,” he said.

Hoping to avoid a repeat of protests seen earlier this year, island authorities have not said where the shelters are being set up but helicopters with tents and other materials could be seen landing a few miles from the main port of Mytilene.

The emergency has once again highlighted Europe’s patchy response to a multi-year crisis that has seen more than a million migrants reach its shores.

“The clock has run out on how long Europe can be without a migration policy. Now is the time to change this,” Margaritis Schinas, the European commissioner responsible for migration and asylum policy, said at a press conference in Brussels.

Sourced By: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Minister apologizes for arrest of nine women activists

"I think it was an exaggeration that should not have taken place, and I have to apologize for that," the minister said.

Hellenic Club of Canberra opens drive-thru option for Ginseng and Fillos restaurants

The two restaurants will be open seven days a week, for lunch and dinner, providing a food delivering alternative to customers.

Mitsotakis signals nuclear energy future and rules out Greek military role in Middle East conflict

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said that Greece should consider joining the European "nuclear alliance" in the future.