Kuwait bans Australian horror film over casting of trans actor Zoe Terakes

·

Transgender actress Zoe Terakes has spoken out after their breakout Australian horror film Talk To Me was banned in Kuwait because of their gender identity.

Terakes, who identifies as non-binary and trans masculine, plays a student hosting a seance in the film.

The film was released by Greek Australian twins Danny and Michael Philippou earlier this month to critical acclaim but was denied release in Kuwait.

The Gulf country reportedly refused to approve the release of the film because of Terakes identifying as a non-binary trans person.

Terakes said on Instagram that the decision left them feeling “targeted and dehumanised.”

“This isn’t the first film Kuwait has banned. If there are queer or trans themes in your film, it’s probably not going to make it to the Gulf,” Terakes said.

“But, our film doesn’t have queer themes, (it) doesn’t ever mention my transness or queerness. I am a trans actor who happened to get the role. I’m not a theme. I’m a person.”

Terakes said the banning, due to their identity alone, was “a first” for the Middle Eastern nation and set an alarming precedent.

“My heart breaks for the trans people and queer people of Kuwait who have so few places to look,” they said.

The banning is only the latest in a string of high-profile films to be refused release in the Middle East, where LGBTQ rights are often curtailed.

Source: news.com.au

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

You May Also Like

Peter Tsokas is the latest Greek Australian to be blacklisted by Russia

Australia Day Council of South Australia member, Peter Tsokas, has been banned from entering Russia for life, according to The Advertiser.

Steve Christou appeals for ‘No’ vote in the Voice to Parliament

Cumberland City Councillor Steve Christou has slammed Yes Vote politicians while urging Australians to vote No in the Voice to Parliament.

Daughter of Captain Reginald Saunders shares story of his Cretan ties at Sydney talk

The Australian Archaeological Institute at Athens held a talk at Sydney University about Battle of Crete soldier, Captain Reginald Saunders