John Svigos: Four WCH baby deaths should be a ‘wake-up call for the government’

·

A lack of onsite cardiac treatment is being blamed for the deaths of four babies at Adelaide’s Women’s and Children’s Hospital in the past month, a South Australian Parliament committee has heard.

John Svigos, the convenor of a group called the Women’s and Children’s Hospital Alliance, told the Select Committee on Health Services that children would normally have emergency transfers to Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital for the treatment.

Svigos has called for hospital’s board to approve a proposal presented 18 months ago, which brings increased onsite cardiac treatment or external oxygenation machines (ECMOs) available for babies and children.

An ECMO machine in action in an intensive care unit.(Getty Images: Akiromaru)

“How many more deaths of babies and young children will the community and staff be forced to endure?” he asked.

Professor Svigos said the lack of the service at the hospital was an “erroneous decision” based on cost.

“We spend $5 million a year transferring patients,” he said.

“It would cost about $6 million to set it up and then $1 million a year to run it.”

Women’s and Children’s Hospital chief executive Lindsey Gough speaks to the media.(ABC News: Lincoln Rothall)

He said within two years it would be cost-neutral to run the treatments in South Australia.

Women’s and Children’s Hospital CEO Lindsey Gough denies the lack of services is about cost. She says there are simply not enough cases in Adelaide for staff to maintain their skills.

“This is not about money at all, this is about a sustainable, safe service,” Gough said.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

SA seafood heir Sarantis Parissos jailed over police hit-and-run

Former professional footballer and seafood heir Sarantis Parissos has been sentenced to over six years in jail after a series of offences.

Amanda Bardas appointed head of Val Morgan Digital

Amanda Bardas has been promoted to head of Val Morgan Digital, succeeding Brian Florido, who departed earlier this month.

Greece and France sign $2.8 billion fighter jet deal

Greece signed a $2.8 billion deal with France on Monday to purchase 18 Rafale fighter jets, as tensions remain high with neighbour Turkey.