‘It’s a total stitch-up’: George Alex speaks out after being granted bail

·

After pleading bail over “mental health issues”, George Alex walked free from prison yesterday after being slapped with a $2 million bail charge.

Speaking with The Daily Telegraph, George said the case against him was a “total stitch-up” as he left Silverwater jail just before 7pm yesterday.

Read More: George Alex slapped with $2 million bail as construction boss walks free from prison
Read More: George Alex pleads bail for mental health treatment, court hears

“I’m totally innocent of the charges, it’s a total stitch-up,” he said.

“I’ll make further comments later on.”

Alex was escorted by his sister into a waiting black Range Rover driven by another woman before disappearing into the night.

The controversial building industry figure was arrested last month over a $17 million tax fraud syndicate. Alex was arrested in Queensland and extradited to Sydney on conspiracy to defraud the Commonwealth and dealing with proceeds of crime charges.

George Alex allegedly ran a multimillion-dollar money laundering operation. Picture: John Grainger

Magistrate Margaret Quinn imposed a raft of strict bail conditions on Alex including effective house arrest, which she said would mitigate any flight risk he posed.

Mr Alex was alleged to be the leader of the syndicate that used labour hire and payroll companies to defraud the ATO. Millions of dollars were then allegedly transferred to Australian accounts controlled by other accused syndicate members.

Ms Quinn ordered Alex to report twice daily to Marrickville police station and otherwise not leave his aunt’s Earlwood home, while also banning him from leaving NSW.

“And his mother says she’s prepared to supervise him,” the magistrate said.

“If he is foolish enough to talk to (his co-accused) he should be aware that his bail will be revoked.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Melbourne lockdown extended by seven days

Melburnians will spend another week in lockdown, Premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed at Victoria's press conference on Wednesday. Victoria has recorded 20 new locally acquired COVID-19...

Yianni Koutouzis says China’s removal of tariffs on Australian wine not an immediate fix

Yianni Koutouzis has stressed that the removal of Chinese tariffs wouldn't be an immediate solution to the region's wine crisis.

Dr Mark Gianoutsos warns against social media obsessed women using lip filler services

"I think it is a degree of body dysmorphia but it is largely social media driven," Dr Mark Gianoutsos said.