Iran has targeted US forces in Iraq with “dozens” of missiles amid President Trump’s meeting with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.
Two military bases containing US troops have been targeted with no reported casualties. The Iranian attacks are assumably in retaliation to the US bombing of Iranian general Qassem Soleimani on January 3 2020.
The Pentagon is conducting “initial battle damage assessments”, however president Trump released a Tweet saying he will make an official statement in the morning on the damage caused.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Iran state TV says the attack was called “Operation Martyr Soleimani”, yet Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif says today’s attacks were “proportionate measures in self-defense”.
“We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression,” said the Foreign Minister.
During Trump’s meeting with Greek President Mitsotakis, he addressed the US involvement in Iraq, before the information was released regarding Iran’s attack on US troops in Iraq.
“Eventually we want to be able to allow Iraq to run its own affairs,” Trump said Tuesday during an Oval Office meeting with Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis. “This isn’t the right point.”
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison released a full statement in regards to the incident which can be read HERE.
In the statement he says, “The Prime Minister has directed the Chief of the Defence Force (CDF) to take whatever actions are necessary to protect and defend our ADF and diplomatic personnel and keep Australians safe.”