Helen Pachos’ fight to keep NDIS support for her daughter in remote Australia

·

People with disabilities in remote and regional parts of the Northern Territory have opened up about their struggle to access support from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

In an interview with ABC News, Helen Pachos detailed how her 30-year-old daughter Christina suffered a traumatic brain injury when she was 18 years old. Today, Christina can’t walk and uses subtle movements to communicate.

Helen spent the first five years looking after her daughter’s needs at home in Darwin, before she applied for the NDIS.

After a year-long wait for Christina to be assessed, she was given access to two full-time carers and a team of specialists. She can now eat, drink and stand, and has been weaned off antidepressants.

Last year, the Pachos family received a letter notifying them that Christina’s carer support would be reduced by half.

Geelong,,Victoria,-,March,28,2019,The,Ndis,Sign,In
People with disabilities in remote and regional parts of the Northern Territory have opened up about their struggle to access support from the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).

Helen said she spent hours on the phone to people interstate and after months of frustration, engaged an advocate who managed to have Christina’s funding restored.

Despite this, Helen is exhausted by navigating the bureaucracy of the NDIS, and worries about her daughter’s future.

“We were celebrating [Christina’s] improvements but, in some respects, we felt that was working against us,” she told ABC News.

Christina’s advocate and the founder of Focus-A-Bility, Robyne Burridge, said Christina’s experience wasn’t unique. She wants to see greater government investment in face-to-face services in remote and regional Australia.

Source: ABC News.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greece embraces tradition in Clean Monday festivities

On March 3, Greece celebrated Clean Monday, known locally as 'Kathara Deftera,' marking the onset of Lent with nationwide festivities.

Diaspora leaders honoured for outstanding contribution to Hellenism in Australia

The Region of Western Macedonia has bestowed honorary distinctions on the late Zisis Dardalis and Professor Anastasios M. Tamis.

Cyprus Supreme Court removes Comptroller General Odysseas Michaelides for misconduct

Cyprus has mandated the removal of Comptroller General Odysseas Michaelides, due to misconduct and interference with judiciary's operations.