Greek Mariupol Consul General reaches Zaporizhzhia amid evacuation operation

·

Diplomatic sources have told Ekathimerini that the Greek Consul General in Mariupol, Manolis Androulakis, has reached the Ukrainian city of Zaporizhzhia on Wednesday.

The Consul will spend the night in the south-eastern city as there is an ongoing curfew.

The operation to evacuate Androulakis, alongside members from the local Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) office and their families, has been underway since Tuesday afternoon.

READ MORE: Operation to evacuate Greek Consul General from Ukrainian city of Mariupol underway.

Ukraine’s President calls on US to do more in Congress address:

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy spoke to members of the US Congress by video link to plead for support as his country is besieged by Russian forces. Photo: AP / J. Scott Applewhite.

This evacuation effort comes as Russian forces continue to rain fire on Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, and other major cities in a bid to crush resistance.

In the encircled seaport of Mariupol, where there is a large ethnic Greek population, a Russian airstrike has also destroyed a theatre building where hundreds of people were sheltering. There was no immediate word on deaths or injuries.

READ MORE: EU leaders meet in Versailles to discuss Ukraine war and energy independence.

In response, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has appealed to the US Congress to do more to help Ukraine’s fight against Russia.

Destruction in Ukraine. Photo: Oleksandr Lapshyn / Reuters.

Live streamed into the Capitol complex, Zelenskyy cited Pearl Harbour and the terror attacks of September 11 during his appeal and showed an emotional video of the destruction his country has suffered in the war.

READ MORE: Ukrainian President assured of Greece’s ‘full support’ during phone call with Greek PM.

“We need you right now,” Mr Zelenskyy said, adding, “I call on you to do more.”

After this address, US President Joe Biden announced $800 million in new Ukraine aid, including anti-aircraft weapons and drones.

READ MORE: US State Department praises Greek handling of Ukraine crisis.

Source: Ekathimerini and ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC to face Auckland FC in historic OFC Pro League final

South Melbourne FC will face Auckland FC in the historic inaugural OFC Pro League final on Sunday at Eden Park.

Cretan community commemorates Battle of Crete with gala event in Sydney

The Cretan Association of Sydney and NSW filled Sydney with Cretan music, remembrance and celebration during its annual dance evening.

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

You May Also Like

Tsitsipas brothers knock out defending French Open champs

Stefanos and Petros Tsitsipas earned a 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 win against last year’s French Open mixed doubles champions Ivan Dodig & Austin Krajicek

Rich lister eyes $34m rescue of Nikolaos Solomos’ Derrimut 24:7 gyms

Rich lister and former NRL player Wes Maas has been identified as the likely buyer of the debt-stricken Derrimut 24:7 Gym chain.

‘I was never afraid’: 105-year-old Anzac, Alf Carpenter, recalls fighting in the Battle of Crete

At 104 years of age, Alf Carpenter is one of Australia’s oldest surviving Anzacs. He tells TGH what he remembers from the Battle of Crete.