Greek authorities to transfer over 2,300 refugees to mainland after Easter

·

As Easter celebrations come to a close after the celebration of Easter Sunday, Greek authorities will begin the gradual transfer of 2,380 asylum seekers and their families from island camps to accommodation facilities on the mainland, the country’s Migration Ministry said Thursday.

The refugees will be moved into centres, apartments or hotels over the course of the next two weeks, starting from April 19. The transfer was made to reduce the risk of refugees being infected by the coronavirus, the ministry says.

Among the 2,380 are 200 people aged over 60, while 1,730 are asylum seekers of all ages with facing chronic illnesses, who will be transferred with their families.

Photo: Ekathimerini

Medical NGOs and human rights groups have persistently appealed to the Greek government for the evacuation of the overcrowded migrant camps.

The Red Cross last month gave aid to multiple volunteer groups that were driven out of the camps from risk of coronavirus exposure. The withdrawal of volunteer groups resulted in disastrous consequences for the migrant camps, leading to a further breakdown of utilities.

Greece have recorded a total of 2,192 coronavirus cases as of April 16, with 102 confirmed deaths. Greece has previously been praised on their handling of the coronavirus, having drastically less cases than their European neighbours.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

You May Also Like

Stefanos Tsitsipas storms into Australian Open round three

Stefanos Tsitsipas has closed out his game against Sebastian Baez at the Australian Open, claiming a 7-6, 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 win.

The Greek Herald’s Top News – 2019 Year in Review

The Greek Herald looks back at the most significant moments for the Australian community, the Greek community and the global community during 2019.

Six Greek Australian ‘old blokes’ road tripping for a cancer cure

Six Greek Australian 'old blokes' are road tripping around the Central West of New South Wales for a cancer cure.