Greek authorities intercept boat carrying migrants to Italy

·

Greece’s coast guard towed a boat carrying 65 asylum-seekers to a port on the country’s western coast after it was found to be in distress in the Ionian Sea, authorities said Thursday.

The Migration and Asylum ministry said that 35 of those on board were from Turkey, 15 from Afghanistan, eight from Iraq and seven from Iran.

Fifty-seven had already applied for asylum in Greece, it said, adding that they would be transferred to refugee centers, while those who had no documentation would apply for asylum.

A vessel with migrants arrive after an operation by the Greek Coast guard at the port of Katakolo, western Greece, Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020.  (Giannis Spyrounis/ilialive.gr via AP)

Two people believed to be the boat’s crew members were sent to court.

It was the second case this week of Greek authorities intercepting migrant boats off the western coast of Greece, where they were believed to be heading to neighboring Italy.

On Wednesday, the coast guard said it received a call about a yacht in distress off the coast of the island of Corfu. Coast guard vessels picked up 25 people, including nine children, from the boat.

The coast guard said the adults were arrested for violating immigration laws, while the children were placed in protective custody. Authorities were searching for three people believed to be part of a migrant smuggling ring.

Sourced By: Associated Press

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Peter Antoniou named on Young Socceroos Squad for 2026 Asean U19 Boys Championship

CommBank Young Socceroos Head Coach Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-player squad for the 2026 ASEAN U-19 Boys’ Championship.

St George Youth League team makes a statement

The St George Youth League Men’s team delivered one of their most impressive performances of the season on Saturday afternoon.

Heidelberg United vows to fight AFC Champions League 2 exclusion in formal appeal

Heidelberg United FC has confirmed it will launch a formal legal appeal after being denied entry into the 2026-27 AFC Champions League Two.

Princess Anne begins official Greece visit for Battle of Crete anniversary

Princess Anne has arrived in Greece for an official visit to attend commemorations marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

November 17 mastermind Alexandros Giotopoulos freed after appeals court ruling

Convicted November 17 terrorist group leader Alexandros Giotopoulos has been released from prison under strict conditions.

You May Also Like

Sam Stratikopoulos elected Deputy Mayor of Georges River Council

Councillor Sam Stratikopoulos has been elected Deputy Mayor of Georges River Council, taking over from Cr Nancy Liu for a one-year term.

Australian helicopters help fight wildfires raging near Athens

Australian helicopters by McDermott Aviation have been spotted in skies above Athens, Greece fighting a wildfire which ravaged homes.

Dr Maria Herodotou: Discussing personal, political and education issues relating to Cyprus

Approaching 50 year since Turkey invaded Cyprus, I spoke with Cypriot academic Dr Maria Herodotou, whose focuses include Cypriot literature.