‘Unforgivable mistake’: Greek PM under pressure over phone tapping of PASOK leader

·

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, is under pressure following the discovery that the mobile phone of his political opponent, PASOK leader Nikos Androulakis, was tapped by order of EYP – the intelligence service that reports directly to the PM’s office.

The case has shocked Greeks and sparked political uproar, leading Mitsotakis to apologise to the leader of the country’s opposition Socialist party.

In a preview of Sunday’s To Vima newspaper, Mitsotakis was quoted as saying: “I wasn’t aware, I would have never allowed it. I owe Mr Androulakis an apology for the mistake made.”

“It was a serious and unforgivable mistake,” the Greek PM added.

Mitsotakis is under pressure.

The conservative Prime Minister is expected to make a public address over the case on Monday.

This comes after Mitsotakis office, only hours earlier, had revealed the resignation of Panagiotis Kontoleon, until then the much-revered EYP chief, for “incorrect actions’.”

Mitsotakis’ nephew and most trusted aide, Grigoris Dimitriadis, had also stepped down – taking a bullet for his boss that was hoped would put the scandal to bed. 

Androulakis first filed a complaint with prosecutors at the country’s supreme court last week, detailing the wiretapping attempt.

“I never expected the Greek government to spy on me using the darkest practices,” Androulakis said in a televised address late on Friday as the extent of the espionage became apparent and following the resignations.

“It is our democratic duty to protect the human rights and freedoms of Greek citizens. Today is a moment of truth for those whose arrogance and sense of impunity make them capable of anything.”

Androulakis also called on parliament to set up an investigative committee to look into potential political responsibilities for the attempted tapping of his phone.

Source: The Guardian.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Cypriot President condemns ‘peace operation’ claims by Turkish Cypriot leader

Cyprus President Nikos Christodoulides condemned Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar statement claiming Turkey bought peace to Cyprus in 1974.

Finding the right Supertee: Jason Sotiris says goodbye to hospital gowns for teenagers

A hospital stay requires wearing a backless gown that won’t interfere with procedures, but new studies are challenging this cultural norm.

Costeen Hatzi opens up on life after Nick Kyrgios split

Costeen Hatzi has spent her summer in Europe, enjoying her first overseas girls’ trip, a milestone that carried extra meaning for her.