Turkish exploration vessel returns to port ahead of EU summit

·

Turkey’s seismic exploration vessel Oruc Reis returned to port on Monday from disputed Mediterranean waters, less than two weeks before a European Union summit where the bloc will evaluate possible sanctions against Ankara.

NATO members Turkey and Greece have conflicting claims to continental shelves and rights to potential energy resources in the Eastern Mediterranean. Tensions flared in August when Ankara sent Oruc Reis to map out energy drilling prospects in waters also claimed by Greece.

Turkey withdrew Oruc Reis from contested waters ahead of a previous EU summit in October to “allow for diplomacy,” but later sent it back after what it called unsatisfactory outcomes from the summit. Earlier this month, Turkey said Oruc Reis would operate in the region until November 29.

READ MORE: Turkey extends illegal NAVTEX for oil and gas surveys in the east Med.

Turkey’s seismic exploration vessel Oruc Reis returned to port on Monday

The Turkish Energy Ministry said on Monday the vessel had completed a mission which started on August 10.

“Our ship, which has collected 10,995 km of 2D seismic data, has returned to the Antalya port,” it said in a tweet.

Refinitiv ship tracking data confirmed Oruc Reis was back in port in Antalya on Monday morning. The data also showed drill ship Yavuz in waters near Turkey’s southern coast, while seismic survey vessel Barbaros Hayreddin Pasa was still out at sea south of Cyprus.

READ MORE: Turkey withdraws Oruc Reis navy ship, sends Barbaros to Cypriot waters instead.

After weeks of tension, Ankara and Athens agreed to resume talks over their contested maritime claims in September, ending a 4-year hiatus. But Greece has since said it would not begin talks as long as Turkish vessels were in contested waters.

Last week, the EU’s Parliament called for sanctions against Ankara over President Tayyip Erdogan’s visit to Northern Cyprus and Turkish operations in the eastern Mediterranean, which it called illegal. Turkey said it fully rejected this.

READ MORE: The European Parliament votes in favor of sanctions against Turkey.

EU leaders will meet on December 11-12 to discuss the sanctions, with France leading a push in the bloc to sanction Turkey. Paris has yet to draw up sanctions, but diplomats say any measures would likely target areas of Turkey’s economy linked to hydrocarbon exploration.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Themistocles Kritikakos’ new book explores genocide memory in Australia

For Themistocles Kritikakos, the study of genocide began long before academia - in family stories, silences, and fragments of the past.

Melbourne to host 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek exams as registrations open

Registrations are now open for the 2026 Certificate of Attainment in Greek, with exams taking place this May at the GCM.

AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club adopts constitutional changes 

On 18 January, the General Assembly of the AHEPA NSW ORIONAS Hunters and Fishermen’s Club was held, attended by approximately 50 members.

AHEPA Sydney & NSW’s high tea fundraiser to spotlight latest advances in cancer research

AHEPA Sydney & NSW Inc – Philanthropy will host a special High Tea Fundraiser next month, bringing together community members.

Alania’s ‘Night of Love’ launches 2026 in spectacular style

Sydney’s Greek community celebrated Valentine’s Day in memorable fashion at the Greek Community Club in Lakemba.

You May Also Like

Australian swimwear brand inspired by Jordan Kallios’ boys trip to Mykonos

The pair came up with the idea to create their own swimwear line, Vacay Swimwear, while on holiday together on the Greek island of Mykonos.

Recent excavations uncover ancient Greek settlement of Tenea for the first time

The ancient Greek settlement area of Tenea has been discovered for the first time during recent excavations.

Accused killer John Peros faces huge legal bill after losing defamation case

Shandee Blackburn’s ex-boyfriend and accused killer John Peros faces bills after losing a defamation case against podcast Shandee’s Story.