Radars used to find people missing since 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus

·

US academics have used ground-penetrating radar to seek burial sites on Cyprus of people missing since the 1974 Turkish invasion and earlier interethnic strife, AP News reports.

Team leader Harry M. Jol told the Associated Press on Friday that they scanned several pre-selected sites between December 28 and January 6, using a system that creates subsurface images without the need to dig.

Traces of ground disturbance from human activity were found among the half-dozen sites searched, but confirmation of burials would require excavation.

READ MORE: Bones of Charalambos Kokotsis’ missing brother found years after the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

An anthropologist works on the remains of a missing person at the anthropologist laboratory of Cyprus Missing Persons (CMP) inside the U.N buffer zone in the divided capital Nicosia, Cyprus, May 31, 2017. Photo: AP Photo/Petros Karadjias, File.

Jol said he passed on to the Committee on Missing Persons (CMP) — an expert group that has since 2006 been seeking more than 2,000 missing Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots — information on where soil disturbance was found.

READ MORE: Personal stories of survival and loss during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

The data continues to be processed and interpreted in collaboration with CMP staff, while Jol said there are plans for his team to return to the east Mediterranean island nation in the near future.

CMP experts have so far exhumed the remains of 1,114 people and identified 1,023. However, 778 Greek Cypriots and 201 Turkish Cypriots still remain missing since the 1974 Turkish invasion, which split the island along ethnic lines, and intercommunal fighting in the decade before.

READ MORE: Cyprus returns remains of Greek soldiers killed in 1974 invasion.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

Coolamon Hotel revival earns top NSW heritage honour for architect Gioia Gianniotis

The revival of the Coolamon Hotel has been recognised with the President’s Prize at the 2026 National Trust (NSW) Heritage Awards.

Dominic Lambrinos leads $130m Hunter Valley ‘seven-star’ resort plan

Finance and hotel developer Dominic Lambrinos is behind a $130 million “seven-star” resort and medi-spa planned for the NSW Hunter Valley, supported by 70...

Former Brisbane doctor Stan Theodoros charged with 148 alleged sexual offences

Former Brisbane GP Stan Theodoros has been charged with 148 alleged sexual offences following a major Queensland Police investigation.

You May Also Like

Mytilenian Brotherhood of Sydney wraps up lively cherry picking weekend

The Mytilenian Brotherhood of Sydney & NSW has celebrated another successful Cherry Picking Weekend, with members enjoying the two days.

Dean Kalimniou’s lecture on Nikolaos Plastiras draws packed auditorium

Dean Kalimniou drew a full house in Melbourne with a lecture on the life and legacy of Greek statesman Nikolaos Plastiras.

Edith Piaf and Dimitris Horn: Their Athens meeting and the passionate love letter

Edith Piaf and Dimitris Horn: Their Athens meeting and the passionate love letter. The Greek Herald shares the history.